Good, better and best low-light Camera suggestions??

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So currently I shoot with a D7000. Love it.
I've heard though, that the D700 has more excellent ISO/low-light capabilities...
I shoot mostly well-lit, family-style pictures, BUT, I do weddings and baptisms and other low-light events and I'd love to be able to leave the bounce flash behind and just use ambient lighting and I'm just not that happy with my D7000 when it come to this.

So, I've got about $5000 that I could spend on a new (camera) body. I know that there are a LOT of choices out there, but I'm overwhelmed. Even trying to search and filter through all these threads about D600 vs D800 and why not just get the D3s etc...

I know I couldn't buy a D3s new, but I could buy a used one, but I've never bought used, so that concerns me as well.

If YOU had $5000 to spend on a new camera, keeping in mind that we are going for stellar low-light performance, what would you get?
What would your choices be in a ranking of
1st
2nd
3rd

??

Thanks everyone! I know that these questions become repetitive, but you all really helped me out last time I was struggling to decide on an upgrade and you really helped me out!

Hi Rebekah, I don't have a D700 or a D3 but I'm pretty happy with the D800.

One thing to consider when deciding is your workflow if you're considering the 800, there is an extra step or two that you'll need for each shot to equal the D3 for low light so be prepared to spend the extra time. I didn't really consider the D600 thinking that if I was going for a brass ring then I wanted the shiny one.

I did consider a used D3s and it was a close thing but I was also wanting the extra leeway for cropping (I like to shoot fat for latitude with composition and print size).

If you're going used check KEH, B&H and Adorama and ask about their warranties.

What do you have for lenses? I have a d700 and I love it. I'd just get a gripped d600 and some nice glass. Reviews say the d600 is better in high ISO than the d700 and the d700 is pretty darned good.

All you need to do is look at the camera specifications.

If you don't know what the camera specs are telling you, you know an area that learning more about would make photography a bit easier for you.
This compare 6 cameras real world low light capabilities - 3 in each link. The Nikon D3s is #1, but they are all pretty close to each other as far as real world low light performance is concerned.
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Last edited:
You say you love your 7000 but the only constraint you notice is the lack of acceptable low light performance. I recommend get the D600, due to its FX sensor it offers as good low light performance as anything else out there at a fantastic price (new from $1900). In all other aspects it will be very similar to your D7000 which you're familiar with and you can spend the extra cash on two stellar lenses.

The D600 pays a couple of prices (in addition to other entry-level features) to get the FF sensor and it's associated low light performance, compared to all of Nikon's other FF cameras.

1. 1/4000 for a max shutter speed.
2. Nikon's Multi-CAM 4800 AF module.

All other Nikon FF cameras have 1/8000 shutters, and Nikon's Multi-CAM 3500 AF module or the Advanced Multi-Cam 3500 AF module.

I've owned all the cameras mentioned in this thread in the last 4 years, including the D7000. While the D700's performance was and still is great, I certainly wouldn't call its low-light performance excellent. Up to ISO3200, it's just fine with some noise reduction in post, but I get that same quality at ISO8000 with my D3s.

At this point in the market, you can get a D3s in great shape with less than 100k clicks for under $3k. IMO, that's easily the most bang for your buck in the DSLR world. For a wedding shooter, the D800 is a real POS. I owned mine for less than a month because I hated it so much. It's really slow to write that huge NEF file to the card, and that's a deal breaker for me. Take into account the royal pain it is to process 800 wedding images from a D800, and it will make you want to quit shooting and take up quilting.

Don't get me started on the D600. If you're getting paid to shoot weddings, you don't need a D600 for either one of your primary bodies. It's an intentionally gimped amateur-grade FX body designed for the rich consumer.

If you have $5k burning a hole in your pocket and low-light performance is your primary concern, get a used D3s and get ready to smile.

As for buying used, just be smart and buy via a method that protects you. I've bought every single one of my bodies through a photo forum, (either here or Fred Miranda) and I've had zero issues with the stuff I've bought. I got my D3s for $3100 in December, FWIW...

Last edited:
I think you meant used D4 for ~$5K ;)

Impressive sensor report for the D600 but a max shutter speed of 1/4000 is absolutely useless if you like to shoot outdoors and wide open. Chit, I have a hard time at 1/8000 sometimes ;)

All you need to do is look at the camera specifications.

If you don't know what the camera specs are telling you, you know an area that learning more about would make photography a bit easier for you.
This compare 6 cameras real world low light capabilities - 3 in each link. The Nikon D3s is #1, but they are all pretty close to each other as far as real world low light performance is concerned.

I've read a lot of reviews and compared the cameras side by side on many different sites, which I think may be my problem because each site has a different camera on top.
I really wish we had a camera store here in my small town, but the closest is 2-3 hours away and a road trip like that with a 2, 4 and 6 yr old just isn't going to work for me. lol

I do appreciate all the feedback! Its giving me a direction and opening my eyes to some issues/concerns I wouldn't have thought of.

Oh, and if I were to buy a used D3s, how many actuations would be good to buy at?

Oh, and if I were to buy a used D3s, how many actuations would be good to buy at?

If you've never used a pro-grade DSLR (D3 or D4 series), there's really no comparison to the other options Nikon offers. The build quality alone is a big step up.

If you're buying a D3 series body (D3 or D3s), the shutter is rated for 300k clicks. I bought mine with 51k clicks, but it still looked brand new. Anything less than about 100k clicks I wouldn't be concerned. The most important thing to inspect is the viewfinder, pentaprism and the sensor itself. Check for any scratches, rub marks, etc. Other than the CPU itself, those are the most expensive parts to replace if something is wrong.

The entire body of the camera is a solid magnesium alloy, so minor exterior scratches are pretty irrelevant. If there's a dent somewhere, it's a good indication of a major drop and possible unseen internal damage.

i don't want to ramble, so if you have other questions there are plenty of highly competent people here who can help. Message me if you'd like any specific answers...

If low light quality is your objective, then full frame is your obvious choice.

The D600 is a great all around body and will save you some dough for additional glass that you will still be using long after you replace this next body purchase.

D3s is a great portrait camera but no longer on the roster at Nikon so it can't be bought new unless you find new old stock.

The D800 is a mind blowing camera for landscapes and high MP applications (READ: take-a-shot-in-the-general-vicinity-and-crop-that-perfect-shot-in-post) The Drawback is if you shoot in raw you better have a huge hard drive.

Last edited:
A pro body is a serious commitment and will get really old quick if you plan on toting it around to shoot spontaneous shots. A pro body is for pro work. Get a lighter camera like the D800 or D600. Buy a grip and it will look like a D-single digit but when you are just going out with it, you can drop the grip and it is still a LOT of camera but won't wear you out toting it around. JMHO from experience.

I plan on using the camera for pro work (weddings, baptisms, portrait sessions, etc...). I have other cameras that I use for snap shots and non-pro pictures. My D7000 has been great, but like I mentioned in my original post, I'm not too thrilled about the ISO/low-light performance.
I do not take landscape pictures. Give me an out of control 2 yr old, and I'll give you some amazing pictures... Ask me to take pictures of Landscapes and/or non-people things.. I'm at a loss. My brain doesn't work for that kind of photography. lol
The D800 seems fantastic.. However, I don't think I need the uber-high MP/enormous file sizes.

I think I'm split between the D600 and a D3.

Leaning more toward the D600. The low-light and the lighter weight make it very appealing to me. And I can buy new with a good warranty.

The D3 - well who wouldn't want to have one of those in their arsenal.. lol But i wonder if I need that?? Maybe I'll get the D600, give it a whirl and see how it feels. I'll buy from somewhere with a good return policy so I can test drive it and return/exchange for a D3 if I think I need it. lol

If you're a Mom who casually shoots kid sessions primarily and maybe does other paid work occasionally, the D600 might be ok for you. Otherwise, its limitations will likely irritate the crap out of you. Nikon intentionally gimped many of its features so they wouldn't cannibalize their D800 sales. The 1/4000 shutter limit is a hair-pulling booger of a gimping. The AF module isn't pro-grade. The build quality is also quite sub-par for a regular pro-use camera. Way too much plastic.

Obviously, either way you'll be able to make great images. But I think you're overestimating the value of buying new. The pro grade bodies are designed to take regular abuse and rarely complain, plus they hold their resale value much better than the lesser bodies. The D3 is 4 years old and it still sells around $2k for a mint model.

Good luck with your decision!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back