Good, better and best low-light Camera suggestions??

If you're a Mom who casually shoots kid sessions primarily and maybe does other paid work occasionally, the D600 might be ok for you. Otherwise, its limitations will likely irritate the crap out of you. Nikon intentionally gimped many of its features so they wouldn't cannibalize their D800 sales. The 1/4000 shutter limit is a hair-pulling booger of a gimping. The AF module isn't pro-grade. The build quality is also quite sub-par for a regular pro-use camera. Way too much plastic.

Obviously, either way you'll be able to make great images. But I think you're overestimating the value of buying new. The pro grade bodies are designed to take regular abuse and rarely complain, plus they hold their resale value much better than the lesser bodies. The D3 is 4 years old and it still sells around $2k for a mint model.

Good luck with your decision!

I respectfully disagree. Based on your (OP's) needs as stated, I think the D600 will be a perfect camera for you and your ventures. Good luck and enjoy the heck out of it. It's a great camera.

If its ok to start on a new camera company I would recommend a SONY A77. They are about $2500 with 1 lens and they are a VERY VERY GOOD CAMERA. If you want to buy one go to a Sony store and ask to have a look at one you will be instantly in love with it I was (if only I had the money!)

Thanks. Jack M'crystal Photography

So currently I shoot with a D7000. Love it.
I've heard though, that the D700 has more excellent ISO/low-light capabilities...
I shoot mostly well-lit, family-style pictures, BUT, I do weddings and baptisms and other low-light events and I'd love to be able to leave the bounce flash behind and just use ambient lighting and I'm just not that happy with my D7000 when it come to this.

So, I've got about $5000 that I could spend on a new (camera) body. I know that there are a LOT of choices out there, but I'm overwhelmed. Even trying to search and filter through all these threads about D600 vs D800 and why not just get the D3s etc...

I know I couldn't buy a D3s new, but I could buy a used one, but I've never bought used, so that concerns me as well.

If YOU had $5000 to spend on a new camera, keeping in mind that we are going for stellar low-light performance, what would you get?
What would your choices be in a ranking of
1st
2nd
3rd

??

Thanks everyone! I know that these questions become repetitive, but you all really helped me out last time I was struggling to decide on an upgrade and you really helped me out!
I have the D7000, D600, and just sold my D800. Personally the lowlight isn't far superior with the d800 than the D600 and D7000. I don't do many flash photography outside of the studio so fast primes are my go to lenses. $5000 is a decent budget so if I had that to spend sure i'll get the best. maybe a D800/e with a lens or two. Nikon has the 14-24 2.8 which is good in lowlight, but the 24mm 1.4 will be better in low light. I'd invest in the 24mm 1.4 which is nice and wide for interior group shots. That might bring you to your budget, but if not 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4(if you don't already have it) and a nice zoom for the other shots. If lowlight is your thing then primes are your answer. Sure I could nitpick wide open shots between a 800 and 800e and 800e to the d600. But I don't have the budget to be a perfectionist even though it kills me not to be. Heck that's why I drink.haha jk.

Also, i'd never buy a Nikon Body Used, surely not a D600 with all their sensor issues. Warranty isn't transferable. Unless the original owner is giving you a receipt and warranty card, i'd purchase New. Used is 1600, new is 1900. Not that huge of a difference. D800 isn't much cheaper used either so might aswell go new and get your warranty.

The D800e sure is sharp though. But is it really worth it? That's up to you and what your needs are and how good you are with photoshop:lol:

Most reactions

Back