Good birthday present for a photographer??

kaybee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My boyfriend is a photographer and his birthday is coming up. I'm not sure what to get him. Whenever I ask him he just keeps saying he doesn't care, but I want to get him something that he'll really enjoy. I know I shouldn't buy him any lenses or really expensive camera gear; I should leave that up to him. But, what other kinds of things could I get him? Here are some ideas I have, but don't know if he would enjoy:

-Camera sling
-Personalized camera strap (maybe with his name?)
-Wide angle lens for his phone (LG G4)
-Camera bag or backpack

I know that camera bags can be a bit expensive, but if there are any other ideas you guys might have please let me know! What would you want for your birthday? Maybe something not even camera related?

Camera stuff is really "specific" (and possibly expensive for higher end stuff) for photographers.

So maybe a Gift Card to his favorite camera place (or Amazon, etc), or skip the camera aspect all together and a restaurant gift card.

A piece of paper in a card that says: "One free trip with me to a camera store. Includes one free item of up to a $XXX value."

From the list you provided, does he need any of that or did he request any of it? Unless he really doesn't care, a bag/backpack/sling are "personal" choices. A personalized strap might be nice, if you think he'd like it.

I'd stay away from the phone lenses unless he specifically said he wanted them.

skip the camera aspect all together and a restaurant gift card
Absolutely agree with this. My b-day is coming up, and my wife asked what to get. I told her nothing related to cameras. I want a night or two out of town to spend together. (And, hey, if I can take a few photos while on the trip, that's a bonus.)

A piece of paper in a card that says: "One free trip with me to a camera store. Includes one free item of up to a $XXX value."

From the list you provided, does he need any of that or did he request any of it? Unless he really doesn't care, a bag/backpack/sling are "personal" choices. A personalized strap might be nice, if you think he'd like it.

Well, when I was listing off ideas he was like "Oh, yeah I like camera slings. That would be better than a strap." Same with the camera backpack (but he wants a very specific one), except those are kinda pricey and something I can't really afford right now which he understands. Thanks for your help.

Well, when I was listing off ideas he was like "Oh, yeah I like camera slings. That would be better than a strap." Same with the camera backpack (but he wants a very specific one), except those are kinda pricey and something I can't really afford right now which he understands. Thanks for your help.
What's your budget?

What's your budget?

Around $50-$60 which can't buy much in the photography world I guess.

It's like any hobby. Once you get past the basics, the cost skyrockets.
For $50-60 your best bet is checking out the local BestBuy Camera dept ... or an item- generic gift card.

If you do get him something camera specific, get a gift receipt.

I have the first one listed below (well, an older model by about 6 years). I still use it, because it works great.

Aside from that, the Timbuk2 bag looks pretty good. Not sure if you're familiar with that brand or not, but I have a bookbag by them, and the wife has a messenger bag from them. Fantastic bags...

Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW Camera Bag LP36172 B H Photo Video - $41.95
Timbuk2 Informant Camera Sling Bag 450-2-6023 B H Photo Video - $59.95
Lowepro Classified Sling 220 AW Bag LP36080-PEU B H Photo Video - $59.95
Think Tank Photo TurnStyle 10 Sling Camera Bag Charcoal 460 - $84.75

It's like any hobby. Once you get past the basics, the cost skyrockets.
For $50-60 your best bet is checking out the local BestBuy Camera dept ... or an item- generic gift card.

If you do get him something camera specific, get a gift receipt.
Yeah, agree with this. The LowePro slings/links I provided should be at a local Best Buy to see in person.

I have the first one listed below (well, an older model by about 6 years). I still use it, because it works great.

Aside from that, the Timbuk2 bag looks pretty good. Not sure if you're familiar with that brand or not, but I have a bookbag by them, and the wife has a messenger bag from them. Fantastic bags...

Awesome. Thanks for these links. I'll definitely keep these in mind as well as other options not related to cameras.

So you're talking about a sling type strap? That's what I'm thinking here. If that's the case then take a look at Black Rapid straps. Comfortable, safe and in your budget.
BlackRapid.com Home of The Original Camera Sling

Awesome. Thanks for these links. I'll definitely keep these in mind as well as other options not related to cameras.

I also have the Lowepro SlingShot in the 202 version, so it's a little bigger and not much more $ than the 102. I bought it in May for vacation, and it is now my favorite bag and I can easily carry it wherever I go. It was perfect to carry on a plane as a personal item - I was able to fit my D7000 with a 35mm prime lens attached, and 4 additional lenses (50mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, and 8mm fisheye), 7" tablet, and passport, along with some cleaning supplies, spare battery, and tablet/phone charger (I packed the camera charger in my other carry on). The only problem is it can add a lot of weight to one shoulder, so it isn't good for using for long periods at a time with it loaded down like that. I only carried around what I needed for each day of vacation to reduce the weight.

Amazon.com Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW Camera Cases Camera Photo

I highly recommend it if he wants a sling bag.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

So you're talking about a sling type strap? That's what I'm thinking here. If that's the case then take a look at Black Rapid straps. Comfortable, safe and in your budget.
BlackRapid.com Home of The Original Camera Sling

Yes! He mentioned those a while back and said it would be really handy and much more comfortable because he just has a neck strap. Thank you!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back