Good books for...

Anything from Scott Kelby

Although most of his work is for Adobe

For Color Pjotography take a look at "Exploring Color Photography" by Robert Hirsch - a good, solid text.
For Photoshop, the choices are many: The Adobe Photoshop CS3 Book by Scott Kelby is very good as is Photoshop CS3 By Weinmann and Lourekas.

I haven't purchased one book on photography - it's all out there for free on the internet (and I don't mean downloading the books, I mean photography info)

I agree with this. I bought "Understanding Exposure", which is an excellent introduction to the basics, but I remember touching each subject one place or another on the net. It was just nice to have it all organized into a book rather than scattered throughout the web.

My favorite book on composition is 'The Photographer's Eye' by Michael Freeman

I haven't purchased one book on photography - it's all out there for free on the internet (and I don't mean downloading the books, I mean photography info)

I agree that there's lots of good stuff out there, but it can be tough to filter the good from the bad. I think a basic reference library can be very helpful in getting you pointed in the right dimension. You might one good book on exposure, one on composition/seeing creatively, one on photoshop, one on color, etc...

Then see if your library has a good selection of books of prints by various photographers ... seeing what others have done is very instructive.

I've read every book on photography I could get my hands on.

I would second icassell's mention of Freeman's book, which I read on his recommendation. Probably the best other book I've read is called How to Use Light Creatively, and old book from the film days. Light doesn't change and it's still very (pardon me) illuminating.

hehe I have several :D
I'm always buying books... even if I already know most of what's in them... the more I read it in different forms, the more it sticks with me
The first is obviously 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson
Your camera's manual... can never go wrong there
'Digital Photography' by Michael Wright (good if you use photoshop)
'The Best of Portrait Photography' by Bill Hurter (good because it shows you all kinds of different portraits and tells you how it was achieved)
and
'Lighting' by David Prakel
I'm still not anywhere close to done reading and spending my time going over all of these... and there are so many more I want to read...
good luck and have fun!

oh, and It'd be my guess books are much easier on your eyes (and back, since you can lay down) than staring at a computer screen for hours....

Most reactions

Back