Good cheap flash? SB-28?

Antithesis

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.epanderson.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm using a d40x and I want to get a decent flash with off-camera capabilities and some other perks. I'm a poor college student, so $ is a pretty enormous issue. I was looking on ebay and a few other places, and it looks like I can get a nikon sb-28 for under $100, plus there are the sigma flashes and the sunpak ones. I was just curious what peoples impression of the sb-28 and other less expensive flashes, and if I'm going to see any severe limitations versus the sb-600.

I was trying to decide between a new lens and a flash, and it seems like a flash will give me more options for my pictures. Plus, my friend is taking me on as a sort of apprentice in wedding photography and I'd like to really get to know what I can do with a flash before I make myself look like a jerk on one of my first shoots. And no, I won't be using my d40x at weddings, lol.

I have 2 sb-28s that I bought on ebay. One has hot shoe issues but works via sync great. The other works perfectly. I love them.

They will work just fine, but you do give up the ability to use TTL metering. The DB28 with the D40 will only work using Auto flash, an SB28DX may give you TTL. It will give very good results, but won't offer some of the advanced metering functionality. I use one on my D100 to control a couple of other slaves.

I am selling a Nikon Refurb SB600 for $150 if that is cheap enough for you to step up to the 600.

Sorry, iTTL only works with the Sb 400/600/800s (I think that you already knew that but just in case ;)).

The Sb 28 is a fine flash (same guide number as the Sb800) and, as stated will work in auto on your camera. This is the same as the after market flashes' TTL for the most part. This flash -'Strobist' style - will be about as good as it gets unless you get a Metz. The Metz will cost more most likely -look at the 45 CL 4.

Does TTL just save you from having to use a light meter? Can't you just use your histogram? It just sounds like one of those bells and whistles that I may never have a need for.

I think I'm going to check out those Metz flashes as I've seen the name floating around on the forums, or just get an sb-28 (or two) for significantly less than an sb-800.

iTTL is a bell and whistle that is really, really cool though. Yes, you can use a histogram if it is something you can shoot over and over again. If you are doing event photography, sports or photojournalism, you need to get it right the first time.

I like the metering panel in the back of the Sb-28 I got one off ebay for like 90 some dollars ttl great when you want to take a shot fast and dont have time to adjust your flash. But I use manual mode on my sb-28. Though lately ive been messing around with two SB-800 and SB-80dx with the wireless remote flash setup. The results are great, it like having a portable studio.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back