good, cheap off camera flashes? any ideas

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am sorry I’ve been asking so many questions lately and started so many threads but I am very pationate about this and I am trying to learn as much as I can, I have found out that photography is expensive and sometimes buying the most expensive is not the best for what you are going to use it for.
I am trying to get at least 2 off camera flashes, like everyone else I am on a budget since I have to get the radio triggers for them and the stands I am trying to get the best bang for my buck.
I got a suggestion for a vivitar 285Hv used, they run for about $55-65 on ebay, and new for $79(overstock.com with 10% off and shipping included) the vivitar sounds like a good deal used but for $20 more why don’t get it new right? I’ve heard this flash is a work horse too.
So far I’ve been so hyperfocused on the 285Hv but my question is: “is there a good, less expensive(less than $79 new 285Hv) off camera flash that might work as an off camera flash?”
I have a Canon 40D and I just got a nissin Di622(I know is optical slave and doesn’t work with radio triggers unless you mod it, right?). I can use the Nissin as an on camera flash but I am looking for off camera flashes(2 for now).
Any help will be appreciated.
thanks

Good luck finding anything cheaper. Maybe old Vivitar 383's.

Just make sure it has manual mode and a decent GN. If you find a flash that's $50, it's going to be nearly worthless if it can only fire at full power and has 50% of the power of a 285HV.

I agree with VI, there is only so much money that you can save... You can though, save money and pick up some cactus triggers for around $35 instead.

thanks for the advice.
Well,
At overstock I can get two 285Hv for $156($78 each, everyone sells it for $89) so I guess that is not a bad deal for 2 new 285Hv. My next mission will be getting radio triggers, any ideas on a good deal on 2 receivers and 1 transmitter? I’ve seen some on ebay for around $37?
Anything specific I should be looking for on these radio triggers? if Im using the vivitar 285Hv?(I heard the old ones have high voltage but the new ones don’t, If I am getting them new I shouldnt worry about this right?, also I thought it was only harmful for the camera but do I have to worry about high voltage with the radio trigger?)

you also need a cable that goes from the trigger to the Vivitar's proprietary sync port for each receiver and flash.

I mount my 285 hv's directly into the hotshoe of my PT-04's and they work fine.
I think my PT-04s came with the cable needed to hook to the flash, 1 for each receiver, plus a couple of adapter plugs, just in case you need it.

you also need a cable that goes from the trigger to the Vivitar's proprietary sync port for each receiver and flash.

I know that the vivitar 285Hv comes with a sync cable, is this what you mean? The recievers also come with a cable.

You can get a sunpack for about 50 bucks. It doesn't totally suck, but when you can afford something better, you should go for it.

thanks bennielou, I actually decided to get two vivitar 285Hv, I had a 10% off coupon from overstock.com so total for two 285Hv's was around $155.xx with shipping so I think it was a good deal for new flashes, I've heard these things are work horses and have been around for about 2 decades, I just need to get the radio triggers(the fotga's on ebay are $35) and the flash stand w/umbrellas are $98(kit) at B&H(these seem better than the cowboy kit). man this is a very expensive hobby:lol:

thanks bennielou, I actually decided to get two vivitar 285Hv, I had a 10% off coupon from overstock.com so total for two 285Hv's was around $155.xx with shipping so I think it was a good deal for new flashes, I've heard these things are work horses and have been around for about 2 decades, I just need to get the radio triggers(the fotga's on ebay are $35) and the flash stand w/umbrellas are $98(kit) at B&H(these seem better than the cowboy kit). man this is a very expensive hobby:lol:

All hobbies are expensive when you start to get more into them.

If you could find a couple of Sunpak 383's used they would also be a good choice. Same guide number as the 285 with a faster recycle time.

It is an expensive hobby!! I dont mind spending the money, like all hobbyist, I just wish I had more money to spend :lol:
thanks for all the great advice.

I guess the vivitar's don't use the standard 3.5mm sync cable, so does anybody know the size? I want to know if there is an adapter I can buy so they work with the Yongnuo Rf-602 sync cables.

NEVER MIND!!

I found a pic on the net and I dont see how I would be able to use these flashes with out buying more cables (at least). I think ill do more research on the Df 283 or the Df 383 digital ttl. Do these speedlights have manual controls??? Thanks!!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back