Good concert lens for under 400?

Lead_Cenobite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, I use a Canon XTi and was wondering what a good lens would be for concerts. Usually I am right up front when I am shooting so it doesn't have to be a zoom lens. It needs to be under or around 400.

here are some shots I've taken with the kit lens that cmae with the XTi

paulblackbw.jpg

LAG10.jpg

LAG7.jpg

LAG1-1.jpg

LW4.jpg

LW3.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

It looks like you are doing a pretty good job, actually I'd say outstanding...considering the lens you were using.

For concerts, usually you want something fast (large max aperture). This usually means fixed focal length lenses. The cheapest option is probably the 50mm F1.8...although the 50mm F1.4 is a bit faster and built better, but more expensive.

That may or may not be too long for you, if you are up front. The Sigma 30mm F1.4 is a very good lens and should be close to your budget.

outstanding...considering the lens you were using.

Ditto... nice work!

do you need more zoom? (can you always stand as close as you were standing there?) What exactly do you need? Your shots seem impressive with the lens you have!

Just some rabbit-trail thoughts... if you can always stand that close, getting them reaching down towards the crowd and things... maybe a 10-22mm or 10-20mm lens will be neat for getting the crowd in the picture too. It would be a neat perspective/angle at least. But, you're not getting much more speed. For speed, that 50mm 1.8 Mike mentioned is super nice and super fast (oh, and like $79). I have it and it would be my lens of choice at a concert.

Keep up the good work! Man those are great!

Ditto... nice work!

do you need more zoom? (can you always stand as close as you were standing there?) What exactly do you need? Your shots seem impressive with the lens you have!

Just some rabbit-trail thoughts... if you can always stand that close, getting them reaching down towards the crowd and things... maybe a 10-22mm or 10-20mm lens will be neat for getting the crowd in the picture too. It would be a neat perspective/angle at least. But, you're not getting much more speed. For speed, that 50mm 1.8 Mike mentioned is super nice and super fast (oh, and like $79). I have it and it would be my lens of choice at a concert.

Keep up the good work! Man those are great!

I don't need zoom for concerts really because I am usually up front but I am looking into getting a 70-300 IS lens by canon. Buy yah thanks, I think I'm gunna go with either the 50/1.8 or the 50/1.4.

Thanks alot guys.

In case you are getting the IS for your concerts, consider that IS has no effect when it comes to subject movement.

Yes, it will allow you to use a slow shutterspeed handheld, but if your subject is moving, the slower shutter just allows them to blur more.

Max aperture the way to go.

I don't need zoom for concerts really because I am usually up front but I am looking into getting a 70-300 IS lens by canon. Buy yah thanks, I think I'm gunna go with either the 50/1.8 or the 50/1.4.

Thanks alot guys.

If you don't need any more zoom, then probably dont need to go with the 70-300, along with the fact that IS won't help much for you.

For 400 bucks, I would go with the Canon 50mm f/1.8, and the Sigma 24mm f/1.8. The Sigma 24mm f/1.8 is my next buy. You can get both of those for under 400 total easily.

If you don't need any more zoom, then probably dont need to go with the 70-300, along with the fact that IS won't help much for you.

For 400 bucks, I would go with the Canon 50mm f/1.8, and the Sigma 24mm f/1.8. The Sigma 24mm f/1.8 is my next buy. You can get both of those for under 400 total easily.

I wasn't thinking about the 70-300 IS for concerts, I just want that one to have a decent zoom lens for whenever I need it. Is there a better zoom lens for around the same price? I just want to get a zoom lens for shooting the city and nature and all that good stuff.

I wasn't thinking about the 70-300 IS for concerts, I just want that one to have a decent zoom lens for whenever I need it. Is there a better zoom lens for around the same price? I just want to get a zoom lens for shooting the city and nature and all that good stuff.

ah ok makes sense.

Look at the prices for the Sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM Macro. I looked at the 70-300 IS but instead saved a bit more and bought this. I'd do it again.

You might be able to find the older form of the lens for cheaper...still a good lens.

I'd invest in a EF 70-200mm f/4L lens. It's slightly over $400, but then you have a top-of-the-line lens, and it's definitely worth the investment.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back