Good deal? (camera + lens)

jbarnes.US

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been searching for a zoom/telephoto lens for my Canon T3, and looked on craigslist. Well, I found a sale with a Canon X (which I don't need) and a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO zoom lens. I was wondering if anyone has used this lens. Also, does it have autofocus and would the Canon 75-300mm III be a better deal? The sale comes with a filter, flash, and lens hood along with the camera and lens.

Link: CANON EOS REBEL X 35mm FILM SLR CAMERA BODY AND SIGMA LENS COMBO

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
a lot of the older sigma lenses for film are not digital compatible. If they are compatible with early digital cameras, sometimes they aren't compatible today either... It's a gamble. DG indicates that is digital and film compatible-those are the ones that can be a gamble on today's digital cameras. Chances are it would work. It's available for about $150 for the lens only new. It's also going to be a pretty low quality lens, so... Yeah. Not such a great deal.
Now having a film camera to play with? Decent idea!

OP
J

jbarnes.US

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Thanks! I knew it was too good to be true, lol. I would like to have a film lens, but the money is tight right now and I can only afford a cheap telephoto lens. I agree though, this camera would be pretty fun to play with.

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
If you have to go with a cheap telephoto then stick to the Canon. The cheap off brands aren't as good as the Canon ones. You are already compromising quality by going with CHEAP, don't compromise more.

OP
J

jbarnes.US

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I think I'll go with the Canon 75-300mm III. This seems like a semi-decent lens for the price. Will it have the same image quality as the kit lens at the maximum range when the zoom is at around 250-300mm? (if that makes sense, haha, I couldn't find a way to word it properly)

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Not as good, but the kit lens is one of the better consumer lenses out there. It's more on par with the Canon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS which runs about $550

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
You're welcome... Not so sure I helped much! LOL!

Most reactions