Good editing program

Mac or PC? I would have to say Aperture 2 for Mac and probably Lightroom. I use photoshop for retouching, text, just fine tuning stuff.

Elements is very similar to CS3.

I buy used CS3 books and can follow instruction using Elements.

I'm taking a class on photoshop on campus starting tomorrow, also my custom built comp is almost ready to com out the shop so I can put that 24in hd monitor to use instead of trying to edit on my old laptop

I use Aperture for Mac and am very happy with it. Although I still use Photoshop for some of the more advanced editing. So I would suggest if you have access to photoshop, that you learn how to use it. Many people would love to have photoshop CS3 but simply can't afford it.

I just got my pc back oooo yeah im taking alot of pics this weekend

I use photoscape and i like it alot. Its a free editing program that updates frequently

Lightroom!

Fantastic application, very easy to work with. You can do a lot in it, then switch to PS for the more detailed stuff.

But with Lightroom I get through editing WAY faster than I ever did with Bridge. And it's non destructive editing.

Good luck.

I 2nd that! Gets my vote if you just need quick, simple edits. Once you're capable of moving into CS3 RAW, you will REALLY be amazed at the control you have over your pictures then!

You've already got Photoshop. Just learn to use it.

There's no better program out there. Of course, CS3 is more detailed and sophisticated, but you'll probably never need it. So just learn what you have.

I've been teaching Elements for three or four years through seminars and private tutoring.

The basic steps I teach can be found on my website here: http://www.jimsdigitaldiary.com/photoshop.html

I recently upgraded to Elements 6 myself, so the tutorial is in the process of being re-done for the new software. But the basic steps are the same.

My intention is simply to provide the basics. i have no interest in getting into the "non-photo" types of manipulation and stuff that so many people get distracted and confused by.

This is basic meat&potatoes stuff.

But, as far as I know, nobody else will show it to you in such simple and straight-forward terms. AND ... it's free!

Photoshop CS3 is hard??? How so? Its like one of the most user-friendly applications I've seen and used. I am a puter geek though.

Its not really hard, as its very in-depth. Its like reading a book for junior-high level that's 2000 pages long. It may be easy to read, but its hard to get all of it.

I've had Photoshop (without instruction) for a couple of months now and I am just now starting to get a pattern down with how to post-process. And its not as user-friendly as elements, as there is no instant red-eye reduction button that I know of (just one example, I'm sure there are others). But the power you have with it is unimaginable. I can honestly say you will almost guaranteed NEVER feel limited by Photoshop, at least not in a way where another program wouldn't make you feel the same limitations.

But unless you can get a deal on Photoshop (in school or whatever ;) ), I would go with Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop. Both will do you well.

I'd say that Photoshop Elements is a really great program. It does everything you need it to, and it's cheap as well. If you want to branch out into HDR (High Dynamic Range) photos, then HDRSoft's Photomatix is also really good. I used the trial version and found it to be really easy, although it can be done in Elements with a bit more work. I haven't used Photoshop for that long, but I think it can simply be done by adjusting the curves of an image.

I'm in a photo class now and there teaching us cs3 as well as different types of ways to take shots, ect. Through this n the art class im taking I'm really learning how to take better shots by minupulating the for ground, focusing the mid ground, and softing the background. I'm learning how to use some of the manual settings and other things on my d40, i luv this thing. I can't wait to put up sum of the pics tonight of some of the shots i took today:)

Most reactions

Back