Good fast-focus lens for Nightclub Photography?

Amsirp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys.

So quick question here. I need some advice.

I own a Canon 7D and have been employed by some clubs doing nightclub photography. Its all going really well and I'm really loving what I'm doing! One thing I'm struggling with though, is focusing in the really low light. I have a 430Ex flash gun, which produces light really well, but even with the assist beam, I'm struggling to get sharp focused photos...

I use a 18-200mm Sigma, which of course is not the ideal lens for clubs! I'm planning on investing on a new lens but want to know, is there a lens you would recommended, that would produce sharp results but also focus fast and efficiently? I have a budget of about €300-€650. Happy to purchase second hand

Thanks for your help and reading!!!

David

Canon's own 17-55 f2.8 IS or sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS,

Both have good motors and wide apertures to help the focus system.

I expect the above two lens options would be good. But good to first check what focal length you find you were using with the 18-200mm.

Canon's own 17-55 f2.8 IS or sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS,

Both have good motors and wide apertures to help the focus system.

I second the recommendation for both of these, the Canon is obviously better but not by a lot.
I'd save my money and get the Sigma especially since you (OP) need something wider then 17mm
in crowded clubs.

Most of my photo gigs have been clubs (I do them 2-3 times a week) and I use a Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC
on my Canon T2i (550d) which shares the 7D's sensor. Even with the lower end focusing system on the
T2i and the Tamron which is the slowest focusing lens and the only lens that will actually sometimes
not be able to focus at all in the dark I have ZERO issues focusing with it using the external flash with
it's AF assist beam.

That's the key!
There's even differences between various external flashes re: focusing speeds.
I get virtually instant focus with the YN568II flash, and some hunting with YN468II.

Even the kit 18-55IS lens focuses fine in complete darkness if the AF assist is good.
I've recently added the Tokina 11-20mm F/2.8 to my bag and that's now used for 90% of my nightlife shots.

There's some nightlife shots here:
Nightlife (flickr)

Most of it is here where I share the galleries from the clubs that publish the pics (200-300/week).
DB Photography (facebook)

Anyways, you should be able to get tack sharp photos regardless of your current lens.
Make sure your flash is set to 2nd curtain. Make sure it's firing with sufficient power.

You'll be able to find shots at 1/8s and slower in my galleries, they're all sharp unless ambient lights
overpower my flash by accident, but that's rare.

I'd look at the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8. For longer shots, I'd go with trying to find a Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. They're discontinued and fairly sought after, so it might be tricky to find.

I'd also look into a soft-box or a diffuser, which would mount directly onto your flash head.

Appreciate all the responses :) You've given me plenty to look up. Out of interest... would having the flash on second curtain increase the accuracy of the focusing system? I forgot to apply this the last night when a good few of the photos were out of focus... could that have contributed to it? Does getting a 'Faster lens' help the focusing under little to no light club situations? Im usually up on f5 when shooting in clubs. Thanks!!

Appreciate all the responses :) You've given me plenty to look up. Out of interest... would having the flash on second curtain increase the accuracy of the focusing system? I forgot to apply this the last night when a good few of the photos were out of focus... could that have contributed to it?

No, not focusing speed or accuracy, but motion blur screws up the images sometimes and I'm guessing that's what happening.

With 2nd curtain sync whatever blurring happens with the shutter open doesn't get "painted" over the frozen/burned-in if you will
moment that the flash fires on since that's the last instance the sensor sees. If the flash fires in the very first moments of the exposure
and you add 1/5th of a second of camera shake and motion in the frame that'll get splashed all over that first moment that the sensor
already captured.

Not an issues at higher shutter speeds, but you need slow shutter speeds to capture the ambient light/atmosphere.
At least that's my opinion on what should be captured.

Does getting a 'Faster lens' help the focusing under little to no light club situations?

Nope.
My Tamron 17-50 2.8 focuses slower then the cheapo 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit lens that came with the T2i.
But again, with a good AF assist beam, it's a non-issue.

Im usually up on f5 when shooting in clubs. Thanks!!

Why?
I tend to sit around 1/3 to 2/3 stops from wide open.

Most reactions

Back