Good Idea Bad Idea

BananaRepublic

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to Cologne, Germany, in a few weeks and I was wondering should take my Fx or would I be safer to take the Dx, is it a relatively safe city or would I likely to have my gear pinched. For example I'd thing twice before bringing my better stuff to Barcelona because it has a pick pocket reputation.

I am European so dont have to worry so much about the plane.

Forums - Photo Galleries - Landscape & Cityscape

I suspect your chances of being ripped off are pretty much equal - FX or DX.
However, there is no substitute for situational awareness.

Im sure everyone here has their own experiences and advice so I offer this as my own advice, take it or leave it:

Gear can be replaced, experiences not as much, great photo-ops even less so.

1. Get insurance, this is fairly common and can offer piece of mind in these situations.
2. Im with @KmH your chances of getting ripped off are equal for the same reason fish bite all kinds of lures, shiny things are shiny things.
3. There are all kinds of straps you can get these days that cant be cut etc. etc. go nuts if you please.
4. One of the few hard rules I follow is camera ALWAYS in front of me. Yeah it makes me look like a dorky tourist but Im not on vacation to look cool Im on vacation to travel and take great photos usually.

In the end if you own good DX gear it may make little practical difference considering the quality of some of the DX stuff out there.

Take which ever one you prefer. Stick some dirty masking tape around non critical points implying damage. It comes off easy afterwards but makes your camera look s**t so no one wants to steal it

For example I'd thing twice before bringing my better stuff to Barcelona because it has a pick pocket reputation.
Imma bring my D610 to Barcelona this summer. Get swole.

.. should take my Fx or would I be safer to take the Dx, ..
Don't take anything you can't afford to lose. Or have wrecked.

Change your memory cards often. Twice a day would not be too often. Keep your cards in your pocket (in a case, of course) and when you sit down to dinner, while waiting for your order, swap the cards. You will need to take several empty cards with you, all formatted and ready to go. Number them so you don't get them mixed up. If someone grabs your camera bag, at least you'll still have some photos of your trip.

I lived in Germany 8 years spanning late '70's to early '90's and visited Cologne, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, and Munich among other large German cities and never had anything stolen. Had my car broken into in France and the Netherlands (Amsterdam specifically). I think normal situational awareness should be sufficient.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back