good lens for gig/festival shooting?

embarkation

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i'm asking about what lens is good for gig and festival shooting?
i've been looking some of primes like canon 85mm f/1.8 and canon 50mm f/1.4
So i liked to hear your opinion and all help is welcome.

For inside, available live performance shooting I have used a 35mm f/2.0. This lens did great work for me even when I shot a DSLR with a max. ISO of only 800. Outdoors with more light I like a short, fast zoom. Like a 24/35 to 70mm f/2.8.

For indoor stuff, the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 HSM is great, and for outdoor, that 85mm prime would work. Depending on how far you are going to be from your subjects, you might want to look into a 70-200. If you're not going to be that far, I would suggest the Tokina 50-135, which I've heard is an awesome lens. The sharpness and Bokeh are prime quality, and its only a little bit more than the 85mm F1.8.

okey, thanks for answers. But is a flash allowed to use for indoors and is it allowed to photograph without a presscard.

thanks

okey, thanks for answers. But is a flash allowed to use for indoors and is it allowed to photograph without a presscard.

thanks
The whole flash thing is dependent on the place u would be shooting it can change. I dont like to use flash were people are performing but thats just me

I shoot a lot of concerts and festivals, most being at night, and flash photography is usually a big no no. Even with a press pass flashes are largely looked down upon. Remember you are still there for their performance, they arent there for yours, so be considerate to both the band and the audience. Shoving your way through a crowd isnt going to get you anywhere, always be polite and people will be a lot more willing to let you through to get your shots. Once and if theyve let you through dont stay long get your shots and get back out. The 50mm 1.4 rarely leaves my camera, but my 24-70 2.8 is always in my bag. A good wide angle such as the 16-35 2.8 is always nice to have also. Most of these lenses are good if you can get fairly close, if you cant get a press pass or you just cant get to where you want, instead of a good zoom like the 70-200 2.8 USM IS, I tend to use the 135 2.0 a lot more, its a super sharp lens with a super quick AF but you have to do a lot of moving to get your shot. Good luck with your concerts, its a very tricky type of photography but also when you get the hang of it and get good connections its also very rewarding!

thanks for a lot of information. but i didn't got it all. what you mean about 24-70mm f/2.8, is it bad lens for gig shooting or what ?

I get by pretty well with my 50mm 1.8 and the standard 18-55mm.

baceblog » Sadie May Crash @ Mod Club - New Years Eve *PICTURES*

That said I really really really want a 24-70 2.8, I've used one before and they're perfect. Sharp, versatile, and you don't lose stops when zooming in. No need to readjust on the fly.

I would give my left testicle for a 24-70. Not even kidding. Give it right up. I mean, I only need one to make babies right? The other's just a backup. Anyone want a slightly used testicle? Seriously?

i got first chapter but the second one was foreign for me. this thing you get when you don't understand english.

thanks for a lot of information. but i didn't got it all. what you mean about 24-70mm f/2.8, is it bad lens for gig shooting or what ?

what i meant is that my 50mm f1.4 rarely leaves my camera but the 24-70 f2.8 is always in my bag for back up, if i cant get the shot i want in the position that im in at the time. the 24-70 f2.8 is a great lens, very sharp and clear but just not quite as fast as my 50mm f1.4.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back