GOOD LIGHTS?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all just came across these lights on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200057406177&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=190032529641&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

65 dollars is WELL within my price range, but right now I dont have a camera that allows for any recognition...

(only have a canon a610)

I would MUCH rather use constant lighting for portrait work, I find it easier to work with, but what are the pros and cons? Shouldnt a constant light of this type be CHEAPER?

help!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
cheap lights are a false economy, Portraits need flash to freeze the subject unless the constants are really bright, in which case they are usually hot and not suited to portraiture.

We had two or three long, in-depth discussions about this type of thing...just last month. If you search around...you should be able to dig them up.

Basically what it boils down to is this...the lights you linked to are quite low powered and don't look to be adjustable...that means they are not very flexible and may be limiting to you.

Constant lights are not really very good for portraits. They can get quite hot and don't put out nearly as much light as a decent strobe...which probably means that you would need longer shutter speeds...which isn't good for sharp portraits.

I'm not saying that you can't be creative and get good results with cheap equipment...but if you are serious...then don't bother to buy crap that you will need to upgrade anyway. Check Alienbees.com for fairly priced lighting equipment that is very good.

Big Mike said:
We had two or three long, in-depth discussions about this type of thing...just last month. If you search around...you should be able to dig them up.

Basically what it boils down to is this...the lights you linked to are quite low powered and don't look to be adjustable...that means they are not very flexible and may be limiting to you.

Constant lights are not really very good for portraits. They can get quite hot and don't put out nearly as much light as a decent strobe...which probably means that you would need longer shutter speeds...which isn't good for sharp portraits.

I'm not saying that you can't be creative and get good results with cheap equipment...but if you are serious...then don't bother to buy crap that you will need to upgrade anyway. Check Alienbees.com for fairly priced lighting equipment that is very good.

See the thing is I am OK with upgrading if I can use these temporarily. By that logic there is no reason to buy the ones from Alienbees for a few hundred, when the REAL pros use 1800 dollar lights!

My question is more HOW do i use these strobe lights?

See the thing is I am OK with upgrading if I can use these temporarily.
As long as you are OK with it...that's good enough for me.

My question is more HOW do i use these strobe lights?
It says that they can be triggered with your camera's flash. I'm not sure how that will affect the images, maybe if you set your flash exposure compensation to quite low...it won't over power the light from the strobes...but that may not be enough to trigger the strobes.

Also, if your camera uses a pre-flash...that will mess up the triggering of the strobes.

Your camera doesn't have a PC port...I don't think it even has a hot-shoe...so I don't think there is any other way to trigger these lights.

Big Mike said:
As long as you are OK with it...that's good enough for me.

It says that they can be triggered with your camera's flash. I'm not sure how that will affect the images, maybe if you set your flash exposure compensation to quite low...it won't over power the light from the strobes...but that may not be enough to trigger the strobes.

Also, if your camera uses a pre-flash...that will mess up the triggering of the strobes.

Your camera doesn't have a PC port...I don't think it even has a hot-shoe...so I don't think there is any other way to trigger these lights.

Thats what I was afraid of. I thought there might of been some sort of manual trigger.

What about on a D50? How would they trigger with a D50, since I was planning on purchasing one soon!

I can't seem to figure out if the D50 as a PC connection...which would allow you to plug the PC cord (included with lights) directly into the camera. If it doesn't, you would need to get a hot shoe to PC adaptor.
If your camera doesn't have a PC sync outlet, we sell the PC Sync Adapter as an option

D50's don't have a sync plug.
You can usually fire them of with your flash via a cell if you don't get a hot shoe.
Like block the flash from firing at the subject with paper or tape and leave the sides open so it will trigger the flash units.

Big Mike said:
I can't seem to figure out if the D50 as a PC connection...which would allow you to plug the PC cord (included with lights) directly into the camera. If it doesn't, you would need to get a hot shoe to PC adaptor.

None of the consumer Nikons have them. The Nikon adapter is called the AS-15. AS stands for "accessory shoe." It sells for around $15.

If your needing a camera for portraits I would seriously consider a fuji s3, these take nikon lens, can shoot tethered, have hot shoe all the bells n whistles and are great for wedding & portrait work, they're also cheap as the new fuji s5 is coming soon.

Flash Harry said:
If your needing a camera for portraits I would seriously consider a fuji s3, these take nikon lens, can shoot tethered, have hot shoe all the bells n whistles and are great for wedding & portrait work, they're also cheap as the new fuji s5 is coming soon.

The D50 is a better camera and is about 1/2 the price. I've owned both.

I was going through the same dilemma recently until someone gave me a bit of advice. He had bought a very similar constant (hot) lighting set and was very disappointed with the color accuracy for portrait work. He then bought a strobe setup and soon after was inundated with job requests. He told me not to waste my money on hot lights. His exact words were "If you buy the right equipment the first time, you won't have to just turn around and buy lights again."

I just ordered my first AlienBee lighting setup. Should be here on the 20th. For about $800, I got the B800 light, stand, umbrella, Vagabond portable power system, and a radio remote transmitter & receiver. Add a 5-in-1 collapsible reflector and you have a very good basic portable studio lighting setup that's ridiculously expandable.

I still dont know if these are any good?

Master Strobe @100ASA, 10 ft
f/5.6Slave Strobe @100ASA, 10 ft
f/4.0Max Height of stands
7 ftMin Height of stands
3.5 ftUmbrellas: one white and one silver
32"Weight
9 lbsGel Set
Not includedCarrying Case
With strapGross weight
11 lbsVoltage
110v, AC

http://cgi.ebay.com/Complete-Strobe-Set-for-Home-Studio-NEW-RF1021_W0QQitemZ200058193183QQihZ010QQcategoryZ30087QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I mean, for 65 bucks, I know they arent top of the line, but I should get DECENT pictures out of it? Ya think?

EDIT: and if these go off with ANY flash, that means they would go off with even my Canon a610' flash? If so, I could just block the flash in the front... until i get my D50!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those are strobes, but be aware that they appear to be non-adjustable and woefully underpowered. As far as what kind of results to expect, the only way to really find out is to try them. That's one of the things that makes eBay frustrating. You can't get any kind of idea of how something will work until you've already paid for it and get your hands on it.

I have had Alienbees for a few months now. Phenominal. highly recommended! great pricing. do it right the first time. since i also work with video i do have the lighting and thought of using that but strobe is the way to go! try it out and you will see what i mean. check out alienbees.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back