Good Mid Range Nikon Camera

digabella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a d40x and have been having trouble with the color in my pics looking washed out even though I metered them correctly. It seems like I had read somewhere that the light meters in the d40x were not very good. I can meter a little to the dark side and the colors are richer, but hubby and I have been considering just upgrading to a better camera. I do really like Nikon, so:
  1. What mid range nikon would you experienced photographers suggest?
  2. We've noticed that most of them use AF lenses. Will the AF-S lens I already own work on those camera's if turned to manual?
  3. Also, do you guys trade in your old camera when you get a new one? (Like if you bought from Adorama or BH)
  4. I have noticed that some cameras are full frame. Is there a reason that full frame is better?

I would think it far more likely that it is operator inexperience that is failing to deliver rather than the camera itself having a fault, however, putting that aside, you really need to give us a budget, but I would say that there are two good mid-range Nikons right now. The D7000 is the top end of the consumer range, and is getting rave reviews. The D300 (expect this to be replaced soon) is a "pro-sumer" body, it has a metal chassis, weather-sealing, etc.

AF-S lenses will work on any body manufactered in the last 10 years.

I don't trade my bodies; I keep them.

Full frame is generally considered better because the larger sensor size allows it to be made with physically larger photo-diodes (pixels) which translates into better high ISO performance and dynamic range.

Can you post some pictures with the so we can take a look?

1. If you just want to get a new camera, I'd get the D90 or the D7000.
2. AF lenses do not have built-in focus motor and rely on the camera to auto focus them. AF-S lenses will auto-focus on the D90, D7000, and virtually all newer Nikons.

Ok, Here are some pix. If I can get this camera to work correctly that would be great! It's just I'm wanting to do some portraiture and when I've tried they've looked just slightly washed out. You can meter several bars to the dark side of 0 and it seems better. I had been trying Bryon Peterson's Understanding Exposure but his theory of metering on 0 makes it look kind of washed out (the colors aren't bold enough) on this camera. Maybe it is me, but I've looked at every setting trying to figure out something to help and if metering at 0 is the actual goal, I'm already doing that. There is a setting: vivid, but it's not necessarily always an improvement. So by all means, if anyone knows what I am doing wrong using this camera, that would be great. All of these were took this morning, The first 3 are set to f22 metered to 0 and the last one is f5 metered to 0.

F22 by digabella, on Flickr

F22-1 by digabella, on Flickr

F22-2 by digabella, on Flickr

F5 by digabella, on Flickr

Look washed out where? On the D40x's rear LCD. On you computer display?

If on your computer display, is the display a TN, PVA, or IPS display? Is your computer display calibrated?

What file format are your photos recorded in on the memory card? JPEG or Raw?

What color space is your D40x set to? sRGB or Adobe RGB? Page 69 of your D40X user's manual.

Those photos look just fine to me considering the light. The dappled sunlight in the first 2 doesn't help any.

Under exposure boosts color saturation, but can cause other issue with a photo.

Are you aware of the D-Lighting feature the D40x has? page 90.

Last edited:
I don't see anything with these images which would cause me concern about the camera's performance. I suspect that any problems are likely one or more of the issues that Keith has listed above. Are you shooting in RAW (.nef), .jpg or .tif format?

Look washed out where? On the D40x's rear LCD. On you computer display? On Our Two Laptops.

If on your computer display, is the display a TN, PVA, or IPS display? Is your computer display calibrated? I don't know how to tell what display it is in, and I have no idea if it is calibrated.

What file format are your photos recorded in on the memory card? JPEG or Raw? Raw then converted to JPEG's using View NX 2

What color space is your D40x set to? sRGB or Adobe RGB? Page 69 of your D40X user's manual. sRGB

Those photos look just fine to me considering the light. The dappled sunlight in the first 2 doesn't help any. Yeah, I didn't notice how dappled the first two were until I had already taken them. How do the magnolia ones look on your screen.

Under exposure boosts color saturation, but can cause other issue with a photo.

Are you aware of the D-Lighting feature the D40x has? page 90.
I am aware of D-lighting, but that doesn't help the color saturation. Makes them look less saturated with color to me.

I just checked one of the pictures that I had took of hubbie on the desktop and it definitely has more color than on my laptop. So, maybe that's the whole problem. (I'm a dope!)Is there a easy way to check if it's a TN, PVA, or IPS display and calibrate?:mrgreen:

The display type should be noted in your display description and specifications.

Calibration is done using a colorimeter. If you also do your own printing the printer would also require profiling. to profile a printer and calibrate a display requires using a spectrophotometer.

Many online print labs (Mpix, Bay Photo, WHCC) recommend this colorimeter and it's associated software; X-Rite i1Display 2 Color Calibrator for LCD, CRT, and Laptop Displays

and this spectrophotometer: ColorMunki Photo - Monitor, Printer & Projector Profiler

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The display type should be noted in your display description and specifications.

Not to seem like a boob, but where do I find the display description and specifications?
I will definitely check this out, but obviously, I need to plan to work on my pix upstairs for the time being since the colors look so much better on the desktop.

I have a d40x and have been having trouble with the color in my pics looking washed out even though I metered them correctly. It seems like I had read somewhere that the light meters in the d40x were not very good. I can meter a little to the dark side and the colors are richer, but hubby and I have been considering just upgrading to a better camera. I do really like Nikon, so:
  1. What mid range nikon would you experienced photographers suggest?
  2. We've noticed that most of them use AF lenses. Will the AF-S lens I already own work on those camera's if turned to manual?
  3. Also, do you guys trade in your old camera when you get a new one? (Like if you bought from Adorama or BH)
  4. I have noticed that some cameras are full frame. Is there a reason that full frame is better?

I've been using the Nikon D3100 and I'm quit pleased with the camera. Nice price/feature/quality ratio. If you want a extra something go for the D5100. Just remember that lens are more important than the camera when comparing similar models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back