Good news but kind of scared . . .

PolkaDoz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So it looks like my side photo gig might turn into a full-time opportunity in the next 6-12 months.

Especially if I can nail a few gigs like this. This is one of our first ones. We've been hired (A friend and I lol) to shoot some photos of a dental clinic in our city. I usually do jobs by myself but I've always struggled with one thing, clarity in pictures.

Like getting that professional quality as you see in these healthcare magazines and such. I have a T7i and it seems to be doing a great job so far (I've shot home interiors before) but do I need to think about any other types of lenses? Especially with all the metal equipment in clinics (The glare, shine, reflection, etc). Also keep in mind the pricing on these can be high so make sure you hold on to your invoice. You never know when you might need a refund. I learned a bad lesson when working with a plumber once.

Just wanted to prepare in advance. Any tips would be appreciated.[/quote][/quote]

Last edited:
.. I've always struggled with one thing, clarity in pictures.
Please be more specific. What does "clarity" mean to you?

My first thought was "lack of clutter" or extra things that don't belong in the shot. Is that what you meant?

As far as lenses go, depending on what you're doing, a macro lens might come in handy, but since you say, "of a dental clinic", I assume it's more in the nature of interior views. The secret to this is lighting. This sort of work can be very challenging and often requires a fair amount of skill and experience. The biggest issue however is tempering client expectations; non-photographers often think it's just a matter of walking in, pressing the shutter and walking out. I did a series of interiors for a regional boutique coffee chain,with many of the same challenges; lots of stainless steel and reflective surfaces... it took a while for me to get the management at head office to understand that set-up could easily take an hour or more and needed a fair amount of gear; usually only 2-3 lights, but lots of flags, reflectors, gobos, etc.

As far as lenses go, depending on what you're doing, a macro lens might come in handy, but since you say, "of a dental clinic", I assume it's more in the nature of interior views. The secret to this is lighting.

Exactly! That's what I thought as well but wasn't sure if the lighting would be the only culprit. I've found lighting is probably one of the most essential things when it comes to photography. Like sometimes it could literally make or break a shoot. Also thanks for sharing your real-life experience with shooting metal objects. That helps a lot :)

@Designer - Thanks for your reply. Yeah I basically meant reflections that occur around shooting interiors with metal around them. Lighting is definitely not my strong point yet but at least now I know what the issue is. Cheers!

Most reactions

Back