Good Nikon camera + a "beater camera"?

SunnyHours

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

I'm looking to start using film, and I'd like to get a good first 35mm camera.
I've been looking at some of the older Nikon, FE, FE2, FM, FM2n, FG, F, F2, F3.
I'm using a Nikon DSLR so it'd be great to get some older lenses that'll still work on my D7000.
I actually might have found a good deal for a FG with 28mm 2.8.

The only thing I'll need is a light meter :p
Also what's a relatively cheap 35mm camera with a 35mm 0r 50mm lens? So I could have something to take camping, adventures or whatever activity that could be dangerous for a camera, a beater ;)

I've been searching for this info, but it's not really clear, the only thing that is clear is that the Nikon F is an amazing camera ;)
Thanks guys.

You can buy some very nice Nikons with lenses on Craigslist,I just paid $30.00 for an N80 with a Nikkor 28-80 lens.I bought a couple others,an N60 and an N65 with Quantray lenses for the same price.The N65 came with a Lowes camera bag as well.
I bought them for the lenses for my D100.
I would carry a digital P&S along with my film camera if I were going camping etc.Have fun.I always take at least two film SLRs on my outings.Ron G

What do you guys think of the Nikon FG?
I'd steer clear of the fg, it has a much cheaper build quality then cameras that cost just a little more.You should be able to snag a fm or fe for $75 or less. For your main camera I'd recommend a f100, they can be had for less then $150 these days. The great thing about the f100 is that it will work with all modern full-frame lenses.

A good quality f2as, f3 or f4 will cost you as much or more then the f100, and they will offer less value. I own all of these cameras, and absolutely love my f2as, but it's not a rational love--my f100 cost half as much and is much better.

So the question is will you buy with your heart or your brain?

I've got an old Pentax K1000 that I use for everything, and it definitely shows on the camera, haha. It's an excellent camera. If you're not completely set on a Nikon, you can find them fairly priced, I got mine for two bucks.

i just bought an f4s ($155) and think i am in love already. And a 8008s ($50) with an off brand flash, off brand 60-300 and 28-70

I would look at the FM2n, FA or FE2. I believe all are fully manual and only need a button battery for the meter to function. Other than that you just have to have film. All are very rugged, (built like a tank) and will stand up to a lot of abuse. Don't have to worry about power to make them function. Good compatability with most newer lenses except the "G" series although no autofocus, exc.

I usually have a FM2n in my car just to have a camera around when I might want it.

I would look at the FM2n, FA or FE2. I believe all are fully manual and only need a button battery for the meter to function. Other than that you just have to have film. All are very rugged, (built like a tank) and will stand up to a lot of abuse. Don't have to worry about power to make them function. Good compatability with most newer lenses except the "G" series although no autofocus, exc.I usually have a FM2n in my car just to have a camera around when I might want it.
The fa and fe have electronic shutters, your limited to a single shutter speed if the battery dies. The fm series has a mechanical shutter and only uses the battery for the meter.

+1 For the F100. It's Pro-build, AF, 5fps, and you can use all the latest nikon lenses on it. I've got 2 of them and use them professionally, they're AWESOME.

I'm surprised no one recommended the F5? F100 is good too.

I'd think the FE would be a good "beater" as it's pretty cheap, although the F5 can probably take anything you can throw at it.

The F5 is nice, but 8fps is pretty fast for 36-exposure rolls and if i'm going to shoot a camera that big, it better be medium format.

I'd take an f100 over an f5 for three reasons:

1) the focus point selection on the f100 can actually be seen

2 ) the f100 doesn't weigh a ton

3) the f100 cost half as much

I own both, but the f5 just sits on the shelf--it's an amazing camera but the f100 is a much better "user"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back