Good Ol' Friends

blackphoenix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this pic of my mother in law and her good friend. I tried to tweak the white balance as the picture was more blue before. I don't like that the brick is still slightly in the picture but it was a spur of the moment picture and part of her arm is cut off. C&C welcomed!
46702399974_49bf84464a_z.jpg

MUCH improved! Not only for the WB correction, which looks reasonably close, but for recognizing issues in your own work. Being aware of such things is a huge step forward in your development. They don't matter a whit for images such as this, which will doubtless be treasured for what they are, a moment captured with good friends, BUT, being able to look at it and be aware of things that would be issues in a client's image is big. I look forward to rapid improvement.

MUCH improved! Not only for the WB correction, which looks reasonably close, but for recognizing issues in your own work. Being aware of such things is a huge step forward in your development. They don't matter a whit for images such as this, which will doubtless be treasured for what they are, a moment captured with good friends, BUT, being able to look at it and be aware of things that would be issues in a client's image is big. I look forward to rapid improvement.
Thank you so very much! This truly means a lot to me!

Sent from my LG-M150 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Colors look reasonably accurate ( based off of the red and white Georgia cap he wears). Good expressions.

As strictly an amateur and from that viewpoint, I am seeing some really nice composition here despite the wall and the window frame.
Because the wall IS in the picture, it gives a pretty solid 2/3 composition. (Rules of thirds)
Centering is solid and overall if just a personal non-display image, its actually pretty nice and balanced.

Its a good shot.

I don't like that the brick is still slightly in the picture ..
Don't stress over the small stuff. The composition isn't competing in a portrait competition anyway. A tiny sliver of brick is about the least of your problems.

Let's explore some options that you could have done while/before you took the shot:

Distracting background, especially with the window mullion cutting right through their heads. Always watch for issues when you start to frame a shot. To get the window edge out of the frame, you could just move your own body slightly to the left, which then would eliminate the window edge.

Additionally, by moving to the left (or right as the case may be) your own reflection would not show up in the window glass.

You could also lower the camera to just about chin level of the seated subject. This would produce a more flattering camera angle at least for him. If MIL is too high in the frame, ask her to "hunker down" or something to lower her head a bit.

If your first shot looks blue, then check your WB settings.

This style of shot is what is called "informal portrait" but you want to do everything in your power to make it as good as it can be. This IMO would include waiting until the man has closed his mouth. The reason should be obvious.

If MIL could look at the camera, then both of them will be looking at the camera which will make a much better photograph.

Additionally, by moving to the left (or right as the case may be) your own reflection would not show up in the window glass.

Nice casual portrait picture with good and natural (not artificial) smile makes everything else look small! A very positive image shared by Blackphoenix.

Quoting Designer - you made a very good learning point for me : to remove own reflection from the frame. I do noticed this in some of my pictures with a mirror or reflecting surface in the frame.
Being a novice in this forum and with no offence to anyone, I think sometimes it can be artistic to compose with reflection and sometimes a distracting element in the final image. Suggestions and experience welcome..

I like their expressions. You caught the moment very well.
Your correcting of color cast seems very nicely done.
I use the Mac utility app called Digital Color Meter. Whatever is under the cursor is analyzed.
I have it set to LAB color mode and the skin tones on her friend's neck (avoiding the ruddy cheeks and tan areas) show the proper proportion of magenta and yellow for Caucasian averages. I looked at her forehead (on her right side not in highlight) and then her left cheek (not the ruddy area) and both those areas show the proper magenta/yellow proportions.
And lastly I looked at the reflected highlight rectangles in the window. They are very neutral, without any color cast.
So your work was successful!

Most reactions

Back