good photo editing software/programs for amateur?

why is money even a factor, haven't you guys heard of torrent?

I like to pay for the products and services I use...

You can't just walk into the camera shop and grab a dSLR of the counter... Why should you be able to steal the software???

mwdoher said:
Can I ask what the general consensus is on Apple's Aperture 3? It's only $80 and I've got a gift card... Just trying to get set up and get started with something entry level. I have a copy of PS CS4 that I have from work. I "get it" that I should just use that, but Aperture - while I get started and learn the ropes - just seems to be pretty user friendly. PS just looks kind of daunting. Thoughts?

I personally use Aperture 3 with PS CS5. I tried Lightroom but I just love the organization used in Aperture. Aperture also covers many of my basic needs and for some advance editing I export to PS CS5.

I have been using Gimp for now, however I am saving for Photoshop! It's a little pricey for me to just shell it out at this moment in time. lol

If you own a Canon, don't overlook Digital Photo Professional which came free with your camera on CD. It's the only program I've used and I was surprised at the things you can do with it.
This-
I do the majority of my major corrections to RAW files in DPP. I'll open Gimp for things like tilt, cropping, and the clone/heal tools. Also, Gimp has some good artistic tools as well. But on my last 2 shoots, about 125 shots each, all work was done in DPP. In fact, it was mind-numbingly simple, since you can get all your corrections set, save the recipe and past it into each shot afterward... saving a bunch of time.

*Notice*
The site does not advocate nor support the theft of property, be it physical or digital items. Photoshop might be expensive, but so was your camera; work save and earn the cash to buy it; or join a course and get official student status since students in education get significant discounts on the software.

I was using psp x2 and enjoyed it alot. Since switching to macs I have been playing with aperture. I think it has everything I need for editing. Now I have to organize my drive as the photos are named everything and there is no flow to how I started. Things you learn as you grow as a photographer. I do love me some apple products for computing and tech tho. They are great.

I was using psp x2 and enjoyed it alot. Since switching to macs I have been playing with aperture. I think it has everything I need for editing. Now I have to organize my drive as the photos are named everything and there is no flow to how I started. Things you learn as you grow as a photographer. I do love me some apple products for computing and tech tho. They are great.

Photoshop, coreldraw are very useful.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice in what the best editing program would be for me to start with?

Photoshop Elements. Even an older version would be fine. I started on Elements 3.0 when the current full version of Photoshop was CS2. I could do many things with my old Elements that many with the latest full version couldn't do -- not because CS2 lacked the capabilities but because the users lacked the skills. Elements is a very sophisticated editor. Get any old version and start playing.

Most reactions

Back