Good photography

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Boden, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh, surely ... but then the piece of artwork is the whole installation .. not the black square. It is like with abstract interior decoration and modern interior architecture. The single peices and shapes are not special, but the way they interact. I have three very cheap coloured IKEA boxes, they by themselves are really nothing special. But the way i placed them on the white shelf really makes that part of my living room ;)

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental We're supposed to post photos?

But is it art?

Answer: Only if you get it installed in an Art Gallery :lmao:

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit

Or maybe if someone steals it. ;)

mike

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Of course it is art, it is blue and red on white ... must be art then, right?

Not worth stealing the boxes, it is just worthless things in them! ;)

5. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess if it were really so easy to sell crap we'd all be rich! ;)

Wish the photographer/artist well even if you don't understand what they are doing, and get on with your own work. Applying the energy to your own pursuits is much more productive than envy.

Can anybody walk through any art museum or gallery and not see many examples of "Gee, it seems like a monkey/3 year old/catatonic could've made that? The business of the art world isn't about making great and profound things that appeal to everyone. It's about marketing and selling stuff to the right buyers for a lot of money. As long as the purchaser, seller, and creator are all happy, what business is it of mine?

6. Boden

Boden TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, it's your business to understand communication. I find it hard to believe that your curiosity isn't peaked when you encounter something like this -- a somewhat boring photograph being recognized and sold by Aperture. What do they find interesting about it? What do the people who enjoy this photograph enough to pay $350 for a print find interesting about it? It's important to try to understand.

Personally I'm not mocking the artist, I'm questioning the artist. In this case I have a hard time believing that anything special is going on here. I would, however, be interested in knowing what is especially appealing about the execution of this particular idea. The idea itself isn't "bad", but the result is 15 pictures of birds at bird feeders, only a few of which are visually interesting. The rest seem to require special insight into the artist's motivation, much of which does sound completely contrived (this coming from somebody who has invented intentions after the fact for his own work). Perhaps I just don't get it, and that's why I want somebody to explain it to me.

So, from the perspective of photographic art, what did some editor at Aperture see in these photographs? What did other art galleries see? What do you see?

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Again. I enjoy the time and thought put into the photos. Beautifully composed. Simply fascinated by the birds and their happy little environment. Clearly you feel differently, which is fine. She displays her work. Even wrote a wordy intro. Not a lot of explaining to be done after that. Basically just put out your best work. Sometimes they take the bait sometimes they do not. Photographers critiquing photographers above all should understand that.

Love & Bass

8. crownlaurel

crownlaurel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I followed the link to Purdy Hicks site. Sustenance 87 was the only one that sparked any interest in me and I absolutely love watching birds. There's just too much going on to find a point of interest in the others shown from that series. I would not pay $10 to put one of those in my home. But then again I woudln't have 99% of Picasso's work in my home either, so maybe I'm like most of the folks on his thread and just don't get it. Maybe from a different angle or a closer shot or something but as is, most of these look like untouched snapshots.

Cosmos didn't really interest me either. I am not sure how she got the effect but any graphics software can do something similar for next to nothing. Maybe the actual prints look different and show more texture than a graphic program could, but still not something I'd be paying for.

The Falling series was more interesting and something I'd be more inclined to call art, though I had to look at landing twice to realize it wasn't a picture of maggots.

One of the reasons I decided to get more serious about photography is that we use a lot of images for powerpoints in our worhsip service and on our bulletins. It was getting to the point I had run out of preloaded stock images and free images and I wasn't willing to pay $15-20 (or more) for something I could do myself. I can produce mediocre images just as easily for free.