Good point and shoot camera for ~$200?

hrc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to buy a camera and have a few criteria:

• ~$200 (USD) in price
  • Shoots RAW (preferably, not entirely necessary)
  • Not a DSLR
  • Performs well in low light (or at least as well as a $200 point and shoot can perform)
  • Has at least manual focus settings (preferably, not entirely necessary)

The cameras I was looking at previously were the Nikon P310 and the Canon S90, S95, S100 range. I'd like some advice on other cameras though! Currently I'm interested in learning composition and editing. I don't have the money for or the skills to justify buying a DSLR at the moment.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Honestly I don't think I would buy a new camera for 200$, not to myself anyways, I would probably go for a good used camera maybe Canon G11.

Most P&S of the time period you are going to be in for $200 budget will all have too small of a sensor for my taste as a dedicated single camera. Recently more and more high P&S are showing up with larger sensors BUT they are all out of your budget.

Some options that come to mind. Keep an eye out for early or first generation mirrorless cameras. You just missed the Canon M and Samsung NX-100 deals within your $200 budget. There are also micro 4/3rds cameras that are in your budget. Keep in mind they are all 1st or early generation products BUT they will still be a better option than a P&S in the $200 range. Most of these cameras are equipped with the future option of new lenses AND they all have significantly larger sensors than P&S.

For example... here are a few options in your budget (refurbs)

Search Results

Older / refurbished DSLRs are also within your budget if you are patient.

Hi hrc and welcome to the forum! If you don't mind going a little over budget, you can get a brand new Pentax Q for $240 or less right now on Amazon. It has a point and shoot form factor and sensor size - with the flexibility of interchangeable lenses.

$51A7pjaz4mL._SX385_.jpg

$ZPENTAXQWO-VF1-S.JPG

It shoots RAW, has full PASM control, built-in flash and a hot shoe for external flashes or the optional optical viewfinder pictured above. It also has focus peaking for accurate manual focus. When you do decide to upgrade to a DSLR, you can get an adapter and use your new lenses with this camera.

Here is the image quality you can get from the Pentax Q: Flickr: The Pentax Q Pool

Here is the promo video:

Not bad for a $240 camera. In my view, this is the best value for money you can get in this price range right now.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The kid at Target told me they were selling the Nikon 1 for $159. I could have heard him wrong though, but that's worth a look. Mirrorless interchangeable lens compact camera that ISN'T a DSLR.

With what I've heard about the Micro 4/3 cameras, the Olympus Pen in the link usayit posted seems like a VERY good bet to me.

Thank you very much for your advice and opinions, they were very helpful!

Most reactions

Back