Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oooook...so...I'm not very edumacated in lenses.

I have a Canon 300D. I have the 18-55 kit lens, plus my very dear to my heart 50mm 1.8. I would like to get something (not a prime) that woudl be good for portraits and such. I have no idea what I should be looking at. I don't have a huge budget...I'll probably have to save fo ra while for anything I get anyway...so...what suggestions ya got for me?

For portraits my 85 f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 get the most attention. On your 1.6x body, thats the same range as your 18-55mm kit lens. Is there anything about that 18-55mm kit lens that you don't like?

My cousin (shoots mostly 35mm negative/slides) loves his 28-135 f3.5/5.6 USM IS Canon lens. I've seen his prints and I have to say it performs quite well. I've sold him my ol'10d recently paired with a very nice metal mount 50mm f1.8. I haven't seen any pictures yet but he sounded just as happy the last time I spoke to him.

i have a 50mm 1.8 and a 50mm 1.4 that i just replaced it with. both are great portrait lenses. i also use a 100 2.8 for portraits outdoors.

Thanks for the info both of you...but as I said in my original post, I already have a 50mm 1.8, and don't want another prime lens right now. I want something more versatile for composing quickly. My boyfriend has the 28-135, too.

One thing I like about primes is that they tend to require a different mindset than what people usually have when using a zoom. For myself, switching between the 50 and 85 will be the result of me changing my mind about what kind of image I want to take. When using a zoom, it's easier to let circumstances dictate what focal length you use. I'm not trying to convince you to get another prime, but it's something to think about.

If you get a zoom for portraits, I'd try to get one that opens up to f2.8, but that will probably be a bit pricey.

i dont know much about cameras, so i find this information very valuable to me. anyways is sony a good handy cam? i plan to buy one.

I guess what I was trying to say is that the focal lengths I used the most in portrait is 50mm and 85mm on a 35mm/full frame body, which would suggest that your have everything you need (lens wise) to make a wonderful portrait. A zoom lens that would be considered a step up would have those focal lengths plus a faster aperture. Unfortunately, it means more expensive as well.

markc said:
One thing I like about primes is that they tend to require a different mindset than what people usually have when using a zoom. For myself, switching between the 50 and 85 will be the result of me changing my mind about what kind of image I want to take. When using a zoom, it's easier to let circumstances dictate what focal length you use. I'm not trying to convince you to get another prime, but it's something to think about.

If you get a zoom for portraits, I'd try to get one that opens up to f2.8, but that will probably be a bit pricey.

Yeah, I do know what you are talking about...I did have to change how I did things a lot when I got my 50mm. The reason I don't want another prime at the moment is because I need somethign that I can compose quickly with. With a prime, when I need to capture a fleeting moment quickly, I often miss it because I'm too close and I have to back up or something. So I guess I'm looking for some versatility.

Well, you've got my fav already, the 50mm. The other lens I use is the 70-200 2.8 when I'm outside or have the space inside. I've heard fantastic things about the 85, but I know you're looking for a zoom vs. prime. Out of curiosity, what makes a zoom more appealing to you? In the past I've used a Tokina and Tamron mid-range zoom and wasn't really happy with either of them. They either focused to slow or weren't sharp enough for what I was looking for. I've found that with shooting young children I really wanted a fast lens, even my 100mm macro drives me crazy at times :lol:

The only zoom I can personally recommend is the 70-200 2.8 but it is pricey. It's fast and it's sharp and it's fantastic for portraits and wedding work. You might be able to save money if you can find one used, but it's worth every penny in my book. A less expensive alternative would be the sigma version. Aubrey has one for his D70 and he's taken some fantastic shots of the kids with it. If you can get into a store to try out it that might be a way to go.

ETA: You answered my question about why a zoom as I was typing this :lol:

The Canon 24-70 F2.8 L is supposed to be superb...but expensive. I think Sigma or Tamron have similar zooms. As Alison said, fast glass is best...but of course that's expensive.

Do you like the 28-135? How about the 18-85 EF-S IS? Basically the same lens...just in the EF-S format for a wider view.

Big Mike said:
The Canon 24-70 F2.8 L is supposed to be superb...but expensive. I think Sigma or Tamron have similar zooms. As Alison said, fast glass is best...but of course that's expensive.

Do you like the 28-135? How about the 18-85 EF-S IS? Basically the same lens...just in the EF-S format for a wider view.

Don't really know. The boyfriend isn't too generous when it comes to loaning out his stuff. :grumpy: :er: (and he never seems to remember that the 50mm that he has in his possesion was given to him as a gift from his girlfriend 'just because") :grumpy:

I'm just gonna have to do some major research and educate myself on lenses, I guess. I'll check out the 10-85.

What about THIS?

Any thoughts on that? Do you think it wouldn't be fast enough? A quick google search, and I found one for $229, which is a lot more obtainable to me than some of the prices I've seen on the lenses I've looked at! :lol:

EDIT: The one I found at that price was the older version, not sure what difference in performance the older version and the II version have...either way both versions are closer to what I can afford.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back