Good stuff for beginners?

mikegd98

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I was just wondering what kind of stuff I should get for getting into photography. Right now I use a digital point and shoot, but was looking into dslr cameras and was just wondering what kind of things to get, such as lenses, cameras and whatnot. Any advice that would guys(and girls) can give me will help a lot.

Honestly the answer is "it depends".

It depends on what you want to do; how you want to do it; how much you envision spending; how keen you are etc...

Until you put your criteria on the table you won't be able to get much of an answer and those you do will be weighted toward what other people want from their photography not yourself .

From now on unless minimum required features are specified as well as some sort of budget my default answer to this question is:

DX --- D7100 with kit lens and SB700

FX --- D600 with 24-120 f/4 and SB900

Certain types of photography are a bit more demanding with gear. Sports, for example, requires that you can use fast shutter speeds. Any camera can use a fast shutter when there's a lot of light... it's when there's not much light that it becomes a problem. So if, for example, you were taking photos of sports games played indoors (e.g. basketball) or outdoors but at night (e.g. football) then the gear can get fairly specific (and also fairly expensive.)

Every DSLR on the market covers all the basics and most of the difference is in the lens.

There's some variation on sensors... some of them will get a few stops better with low-light while still maintaining low noise. Some have controls laid out in a way that's a bit more accessible to photographers who like to manually control everything (and don't want to dig into menus to change things.) Some have better focusing systems.

A "flagship" DSLR is about $6000-7000. An "entry" DSLR is usually about $500 for a minimum entry point. And there's everything in between.

Both Nikon & Canon make excellent bodies and have an enormous selection of lenses and other accessories and they have the largest number of 3rd party product makers (even more lenses, etc.) often at more accessible prices.

From now on unless minimum required features are specified as well as some sort of budget my default answer to this question is:

DX --- D7100 with kit lens and SB700

FX --- D600 with 24-120 f/4 and SB900

No tripod?

Just get yourself an entry level DSLR such as a d3100, d5100 or d7000/71000 with a kit lens and take it from there. It's when you start taking the pictures is when you can decide what it is that YOU need, and sometimes it is different than what you think you need before you actually start shooting.

That question is just wide open. Just start with an entry level DSLR with a kit lense and shoot your heart out until you are getting results you like and start thinking about what you want to do next and then add the tools you need to do it. You want to start doing portraits? Then get a lense with a wide aperture then build your gear step by step as you can afford with lights, backdrops, stands, diffusers, bouncers, etc. You want to get up close and personal then go macro. Just tooooooo many options to this question. It just all depends on what YOU want to do.

Just get yourself an entry level DSLR such as a d3200, d5100 or d7000/71000 with a kit lens and take it from there. It's when you start taking the pictures is when you can decide what it is that YOU need, and sometimes it is different than what you think you need before you actually start shooting.

(Fixed)

What he said.:cheer:

That D5100 is some kind of camera.

Tehn again, you might have posed the question differently.

"How long is a piece of string?"

Answers might be more specific. Seriously, there are a lot of cameras and accessories out there and it's a minefield. I've been doing research for almst two mnths now and its come down to what I want (Nikon D5100) and what I can most likely afford (Canon 550D) and most likely because I really want a 300mm zoom lens.

Should I take my own advice and bit the bullet and go Nikon and get a better lens at a later date?

What if I miss that all imprtant longer range shot while in paradise (Kruger national Park) with a Cheetah at full stretch on the hunt? Logic says go with the bigger lens, the heart says take the pain and go Nikon.

Thanks for the responses, and the camera I found is Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm & 55-200mm VR Lenses, but how good is the 18-55mm for everyday use? Also, should I get 2 55mm UV and 2 55mm polarizing filters, or just one of each?

I think that suggesting to a new person that's interested in photography to buy cheap glass is like telling a potential Indy 500 driver to buy a Hyundai. The least I would ever suggest someone purchase in glass would be a PRIME 50mm f/1.4

Without the basics, they are like a baseball bat at a golf course.

Some will say UV filters protect your lens other say its a waste of money. I am of the mind set that you don't need it. Most lens now a days have UV coating so you shouldn't need it. I would just get one polarizer and switch it between the two if they are the same size. You wont be using it all the time and you can only have one lens on at a time so you only need one.

I currently have a D3100 and I think its a great starting camera.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I think that suggesting to a new person that's interested in photography to buy cheap glass is like telling a potential Indy 500 driver to buy a Hyundai. The least I would ever suggest someone purchase in glass would be a PRIME 50mm f/1.4

Without the basics, they are like a baseball bat at a golf course.

I agree with everything except the 50mm 1.4. The 1.8 is a magnificent lens not just for the price either.

Most reactions

Back