good tripod for beginner?

qwertyjjj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Any recommended tripods for a beginner for Cannon EOS 400D?
Looking to do some landscapes and wildlife photos but mostly I don't like carrying around too much stuff so if it's something extendable or small that fits in a bag then all the better.

Want to spend as little as possible.

...and how do you support a long lens on the tripod? Doesn't the camera tip forward?

Last edited:
Oh, you want one of those mythical $2,000 tripods that cost $50. So do I!

There are literally dozens of "Which Tripod" posts on here. The bottom line being: DO NOT cheap-out on a tripod. Just don't. Do you really want to trust your expensive camera and lenses to a cheap tripod?

Spending "As little as possible" to me means about $300. I will NOT take a chance (again) on a crappy tripod going over with my gear on it.

Long lenses typically have a tripod collar on the lens itself so that the point of balance is where it should be.

I have an old dog of a tripod - paid $65 bucks for it... Its a beaten down Manfrotto 55 with a Gitzo Ball head and a manfrotto joystick grip... Its solid and works a charm but weighs as much as my camera gear! My advice is similar to Craig - don't cheap out on it, the light weight newer ones are awesome but lose some of the heft I love. I'd stick to manfrotto - only because I know the optional extras are in abundance! Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod Legs Kit w/ 498RC2 Midi Ball Head B&H This is a great start... Extend the tripod to the max and put your camera on it, ask the store to borrow a heavy lens if you dont have one and see how much movement there is, I'd also suggest a wired or wireless release for the shutter to be extra sure, or use your timer. My first tripod was a 190 manfrotto and while it was good, it wasn't as sturdy as this archaic beast I use now... Also to prevent tipping make sure to have a leg facing the way the lens goes.

It really depends what your setup both long and short term is going to be and what kind of budget you really have to work with.

Generally speaking a tripod for wildlife work means hide work - where you're travelling to a fixed location and will then camp down and remain in that position for a long while. If you're looking at being more mobile and wandering around I would forgo a tripod and use a monopod instead since its far quicker to deploy and can remain attached to the setup as you move around - a tripod will take too long to deploy for a quick grabshot (and thus will most times end up just a dead weight that you're carrying).

When selecting a tripod or a monopod you want to look at the weight limits it has and always consider both purchasing a setup able to support more weight than you are going to use it with and a setup which takes into account lens purchases over the next few years. It's a saving if you buy something now that can work with that heavier setup in a few years time rather than having to dump and upgrade it later.

Manfrotto make good quality tripods and their 055 and 190 series tripods are both very popular "entry level" tripods to consider for serious use. They also make some good quality monopods.
Gitzo are the top class - more expensive but generally considered to bet the best of the best for metal and carbonfibre tripods.
Giottos (didI spell that right?) are pushing into the market more so now and are becoming quite popular with entry and some midrange options from what I can see.

Note that any tripod or monopod you'll get will come without a tripod head (unless you purchase it in a "kit" from a store) so you'll also have to dedicate a part of your budget for a head for the setup.

Adorama Flashpoint carbon fiber series, the $99 model and then a $40 or so ballhead for it. 3-section legs are faster to set up than are the 4-section models, and they all come with a nice sling bag to carry them in. Even the $99 model.

aren't monopods difficult to keep level? Especially for nightime low light shots that moght need a shutter time of 2secs+?

Yes, you want a tripod, not a monopod. Here is a decent LOW-cost aluminum pod with a ball head for $89. Flashpoint L100 3 Section Tripod w Ball head, Case L100

here is a similar tripod in much lighter carbon fiber, for $99, with a cloth zipper carrying case and free shipping for $99. Flashpoint CF1127N Carbon Fiber Tripod,Supports 18.7Lbs F1127N

I bought this last one myself recently, and for $99, it's a heck of a nice tripod for CF...it's better-made than I thought...it's NOT a Gitzo...but it is also not $699 either...and it needs a tripod head, so budget $40 to $90 more at least. BUT, in terms of weight,design,and build...like I said...better-made than I had ever thought it would be for the price.

I was lucky and had gotten a hand-me down Manfrotto aluminum tripod. It's very light, very nice, and was very expensive when new. It's got a Manfrotto head and joystick grip, I absolutely love it. Light, sturdy, excellent. Easy for me to say since I didn't pay for it, but, like most things in this hobby, cheap doesn't really save you any money. You are better off waiting and saving for the good stuff.

I really realized the difference when a friend bought a cheapie wal-mart $29 tripod. I certainly wouldn't trust that thing with any of my gear..

Bell used to have TV advertisements for their more-expensive motorcycle helmets. They said if you have a 99 cent head, you buy a 99 cent helmet. If you have a 99 dollar head, you buy a 99 dollar helmet, and so on. Well, how much is your camera, lenses, and anything else that might be on that tripod worth to you? The choice of tripod, or anything else you trust with that camera, should be proportional to the value of the gear!

Also, a long joystick grip is really nice for carrying. What I do is, throw my camera bag over my shoulder, the the joystick grip through the bag strap, carries nicely! Though for more than a short hike, my camera bag has straps underneath it to strap the tripod too (like a hiking backpack can strap a bedroll to the top). That's another worthwhile investment for hiking with your camera. This is a canon brand bag that I got for like $30. Holds the T1i, 3 lenses, accessories, and the tripod! (Wouldn't work for your long lenses though, you'd need something bigger, but you get the idea.)

This is the cheapest "professional style" tripod I could find out there. It's made of aluminum but there is also a carbon fiber version too.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

It's no Manfrotto nor even a Gitzo, but seems to be similar to the more expensive Ravelli brand (at least for some models), It has a 4/5 star rating at Amazon with over 700 reviews. And in fact I have one, and it seems to hold up to its reviews. It definitely performs better than the $20 lightweight aluminum tripods out there and has its own ballhead and carry bag.

Other Dolicas found in Costco.

Dolica 57

Dolica Proline 60" Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head Bundle ZX600B103

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would ask whether your interest is in long exposures (landscape/sky/ocean using ND filters; dawn/dusk, low light) or needing mobility for walk around long lens pictures (wildlife).

Any recommended tripods for a beginner for Cannon EOS 400D?
Looking to do some landscapes and wildlife photos but mostly I don't like carrying around too much stuff so if it's something extendable or small that fits in a bag then all the better.

Want to spend as little as possible.

...and how do you support a long lens on the tripod? Doesn't the camera tip forward?

I would ask whether your interest is in long exposures (landscape/sky/ocean using ND filters; dawn/dusk, low light) or needing mobility for walk around long lens pictures (wildlife).
both :)

This is the cheapest "professional style" tripod I could find out there. It's made of aluminum but there is also a carbon fiber version too.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo

It's no Manfrotto nor even a Gitzo, but seems to be similar to the more expensive Ravelli brand (at least for some models), It has a 4/5 star rating at Amazon with over 700 reviews. And in fact I have one, and it seems to hold up to its reviews. It definitely performs better than the $20 lightweight aluminum tripods out there and has its own ballhead and carry bag.

Other Dolicas found in Costco.

Dolica 57

Dolica Proline 60" Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head Bundle ZX600B103

I think those might be called Hahnel over here...price looks good!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dolica+tripod

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
These are pretty much generic tripods under different brands all made and designed in China. Some good, some bad. It's best to read reviews and if possible to go to a brick and mortar store to get a feel of the product.

if possible to go to a brick and mortar store to get a feel of the product.

And if you do go to the Brick&Mortar store don't be a donkey and not buy from them if you are using them to "get a feel" for the product... as I'm assuming you'll be going to a local camera store.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back