good tripod for beginner?

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by qwertyjjj, Nov 29, 2012.

1. qwertyjjj

qwertyjjj TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    both :)

I think those might be called Hahnel over here...price looks good!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=dolica tripod

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  2. jrizal

jrizal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These are pretty much generic tripods under different brands all made and designed in China. Some good, some bad. It's best to read reviews and if possible to go to a brick and mortar store to get a feel of the product.

3. TheFantasticG

TheFantasticG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And if you do go to the Brick&Mortar store don't be a donkey and not buy from them if you are using them to "get a feel" for the product... as I'm assuming you'll be going to a local camera store.

4. John27

John27 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you! +1000000

So many good brick and mortar stores are closing because their time is spent helping people shop online, basically. Look, I'm all for competition, it's a great thing. I buy stuff online, too, all the time. But I don't buy stuff online that I went and checked out at the local store! That is a service offered by the store that you pay for with the slightly higher prices. Not to mention the ability, often to return it right there on-site.

If you don't want to pay brick and mortar prices that's fine, but don't go in the stores and cost them money with stuff you aren't going to buy, that way they can stick around for the rest of us who want the level of service we GET from a brick and mortar store..

Also check and see if you have a good mom and pop camera shop that sells used gear. On a budget, a used tripod from a few years ago with a few scuffs on it can be a really good deal. In fact, for the price of a cheap amazon.com tripod, you might be able to get a good, used, name brand model for the same price! It's also worth checking craigslist. Every once in a while you'll find someone who is selling stuff that's been in the attic and they have no idea what it is. I have gotten some insane deals on craigslist/yard sales/etc. where people are selling stuff they just don't care about anymore, or have no idea what it's worth and don't care to look.

5. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

I love how this question is presented: "which tripod is best for a beginner?"

makes it sound like tripods require some degree of skill :p

my advice - check ebay, looking for used Bogens. Even if it's a little wobbly when you get it, they're easy to work on.

6. TheFantasticG

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tell you what, my next tripod is going to be built like a something that makes a tank look flimsy by comparison. The manfrottos I have a nice and all for alittle over $100 a piece, but in more than 15mph winds and they're gonna go over.

7. qwertyjjj

qwertyjjj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    just ask the B&M store to match price. why don't more people do that? Virtually every shop I go in is willing to bargain

8. jamesbjenkins

jamesbjenkins No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    This x 1000.

As a small business owner, and friend of the photography industry, few things in the marketplace bug me more than people who use brick and mortar stores as their own personal showrooms. Not everyone can price match to nullify this tactic like Best Buy... :soapbox:

9. John27

John27 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Because that's often times, forcing them to go below cost. Take Newegg vs Best Buy as an example. Newegg only has a handful of employees, a few people to answer calls, a few people to help out around the warehouse, and their executive staff. Yet they do about as much business as Best Buy, who has thousands and thousands of employees.

Now translate that to Newegg vs. the small, service-oriented brick and mortar store. They only have a few employees, but sell much fewer product per employee than the online e-Tailer. They also have additional overhead, like display space (Newegg just has to shove it up on a rack somewhere), plus their time it takes to show you the product.

It's not that brick and mortar stores are evil and demanding more money, it's that it costs them more money to do business. When I was in high school I got my senior pictures done by a photography firm that had two pricing schemes, one on-location, one in-studio. In-studio was much cheaper. Why? The lights were already setup (they had them mounted to the ceiling on runners actually), the equipment was there, and they didn't have to drive anywhere. Less time to get the shoot done, less cost of doing business, less price. Of course, then your choices of backgrounds were whatever props or backgrounds they had in the studio! You can't pose with your cool new car or on the football field at school. As such, the BnM stores have a much higher cost of doing business than the eTailers.

Now, again, I'm all for competition. If you want to go with the cheaper solution (just like I went with the in-studio senior pictures!) that's fine! But don't take advantage of a hard working business by going into the store with the intention of buying online, but using THEIR overhead, THEIR cost of doing business, to look at the product first.

Look I buy from online stores all the time. I love newegg, Amazon, Adorama, you name it. But if it's something I really need to look at or play with before buying, I buy it from the place I look at it, because like any other purchase, I weight the value. Is it worth $20 more to have the opportunity to check it out first before I buy it? If it is, then I'll buy it from the BnM store. If not, then I'll take the risk and buy it from the eTailer.

I think it's a valid question. Beginner connotates inexpensive, you don't want to invest a ton of money into something you might not use. I really think a 5D Mk III is a bad beginner DSLR. Why? Well, because, if you find out you really don't like DSLR photography as much as you thought you would, you are out a LOT of money! It also must be easy to use, which in this case indicates lightweight and collapses small, as he doesn't have the experience to know how and where to carry it. Easy to setup, easy to manipulate. There are certainly better tripods out there for a beginner!

10. TheFantasticG

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, but I haven't met any that'll match it for the AFTER TAX price. I.E., I can get the Canon 6D $2099 shipped from B&H. If I got to HCE and they match it like you say, I'll have to pay $2099 + Tax. I'll still pay $174 more for the camera locally than I would buying it from an establishment from another State. So, sure, I'd buy local if the bottom line price I pay is $2099 and not $2272.17 (as the State and Feds already get 5 figures worth of taxes out of me so I'll save where I can thank you very much).

Wait, let's make it topic relevant... Let's say I want this tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/592398-REG/Manfrotto_055CXV3_055CXV3_View_Carbon_Fiber.html and it costs [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]$374.86 [/FONT]shipped from B&H. Let's say HCE matches it. After tax that's still $405.79 -- which was $30.93 I could have put towards a tripod ball head.

11. jrizal

jrizal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Who says I'm a donkey? Don't assume i won't buy anything from a BnM. Anyway, best advantage of a BnM store is instant gratification. Once you see anything you like you can get it at that instant. The item may be cheaper or not but it's there for the taking. And if you go to a specialized BnM store, you get expert advice somethig you don't really get online or big box stores. It has it's pros and cons. Also you can be double dealed by unscrupulous salesmen. But the ongoing reality is online retailers are gaining ground and have the reach making more sense in carrying more inventory.

Anyway, nothing beats trying out a product first hand. If you can purchase one not online, the more confident you will be on your purchase. Reason I mentioned to the OP to go to a brick and mortar store is for him to see for himself a good tripod. And never did I mention that he should not buy from the said store.

Enough on the debate on BnM's as it will never end. The OP wanted a good tripod at an affordable price, I gave him an option and it seemed he found affordable option at the other side.

12. TheFantasticG

Photos NOT OK to edit

I said, "If you do go .... don't be a donkey..." which isn't the same as saying you are a donkey all the time.