Good wide angle lense

Millstream

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:blushing: I feel im still in the infancy stages of B n W photography. I need advice for which wide angle lense to go with for my K1000 camera, I'd like to stick to pentax lenses. I'll be shooting trees mainly. I can spend a bit for this!

I would stick with something that gives you a 28mm focal length or shorter. If a zoom, might find something in the 28-80 range. But 28 (24 or 20 would be better still) has always given me sufficient coverage to capture a wide subject area. And try to get as large an aperture as possible with that. Reason being prime lenses always come with at least f2.8. Zooms probably with f3.5. If you could find something with f2 or larger that could provide a good creative control over depth of focus with a wide angle lens.

The 28/3.5 Pentax's are very good, I have a "K" but I think there is an "M" as well. They are usually cheaper than the 2.8's but if you can give up a stop many seem to think they are optically superior. I haven't compared them but I'm very happy with my "K".

Dave

Evening Christopher, well i've been looking, i have come across a 28-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 lense. What do you think? Would you trust buying this from eBay? The pictures and information seem fine but God knows what will arrive in the post!:grumpy:

I would definitely recommend a prime over a zoom, most of those 28-70 or 28-80 zooms were the cheapest lenses made. If you have a bit to spend I'd really recommend a Pentax 28 or 24, it shouldn't even set you back too much.

Something like

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-M-SMC-28...14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

or even better

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-SMC-28mm...14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

That is a "K" exactly like mine, likely one of the finest 28mm's made.

Dave

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, the SMC Pentax 28mm f/2.8 and f/3.5 lenses are both very good.
The f/3.5 can often be bought for very little.

Most reactions

Back