Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone!
What's a good wide-angle lens for my D300?
I currently have an 18-135mm f/3.5-5/6 and a 180mm f/2.8. I want a wide-angle, preferably fixed focal length, but short zoom is okay. What should I get?

I have fun with my 12-24mm f/4.

And the B+W CPL Slim matched with it is the dog's ********.

Did you want an example?

DSC_2038_edited_saveforweb.jpg

TheManor.jpg

12-24 is your only Nikkkor option for a zoom. Fixed, you've got the 14mm f/2.8.

The 12-24 is the way to go.

Thanks guys. Nice examples by the way. I'm looking at picking up a wide-angle, micro, and 105mm telephoto PC for portraits when I sell my computer. I'm gonna get at least $3000 for the computer.

You're not gonna get 3000 for a computer. I build computers...and unless you are serious into this and have some custom work...only a complete idiot would pay 3000 for a used computer.
Just tryin to help you out, my friend.

You're not gonna get 3000 for a computer. I build computers...and unless you are serious into this and have some custom work...only a complete idiot would pay 3000 for a used computer.
Just tryin to help you out, my friend.

Quad-core Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 dual-core), 750gb of HDD storage, 2 free hard drive bays, 7gb of RAM, ATI X1900 512mb of VRAM.

Quad-core Mac Pro (2 x 2.66 dual-core), 750gb of HDD storage, 2 free hard drive bays, 7gb of RAM, ATI X1900 512mb of VRAM.

Like I said.

The only part that makes it feasible is that it's a Mac Pro. They generally do not lose a lot of resale value.
3000 is a tad high, as I said...
But it could happen.

I was thinking PC...because Mac Pros are severely overpriced and...well, ya...

Hope you can sell it.

I am very fond of the 14mm 2.8, The 17-35 f/2.8 is a super lens also, just not as wide. I have never owned a DX or G lens, so I can't comment on those.

I'm looking to spend under $500 on a wide-angle lens, because, I'm a macro guy myself, so I want to spend most of my funds on that and a portrait lens. How much is that 12-24 everyone is talking about?

Anyone use the Nikon 24mm f/2.8D? It's only $300 and it seems like, based on the one review there, that's it pretty good.

Where is 'there'?

Because of its distortion and light falloff when opened up I don't rate it very highly, especially when compared to some of the more recent zooms. I decided to keep my AI-S version, which I use on my D40x. I go along with John's suggestion of the 17-35 f/2.8.

What were you thinking about for your macro and 'portrait' lenses?

Best,
Helen

A reasonable alternative to the 14mm in your price range is the 20mm f/2.8. It's sharper and wider than the 24. Nikon has had never had a great 24 AF. Both the 28 and 20 are much better lenses IMO. On the D300, manual focus lenses are easy to setup in the menu, and will matrix meter. MF AI-S lenses are a good alternative. Helen has spoken of still using MF glass, as have I. For most landscape work, MF is not a disadvantage as it is in say sports shooting. You really have a lot of options, many of them are very reasonably priced.

If you're gonna get a Macro, just get the Sigma 105 2.8 and you have a portrait lens built in. Perhaps a tad long..but still workable.

I was looking at the Nikon 85mm PC Micro lens. It's fairly expensive, but I've heard nothing but great things, and I could use it for portraits too.

24mm isn't wide on digital, 18 is the start of wide angle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back