Goodnight, sweet prince.

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just a reminder to everyone that **** happens, and perhaps that insurance is a good idea when it comes to higher-end gear. I've photographed some pretty sketchy spots along the coast, and my 6D has gotten its fair share of sea-spray and drizzles. It has always held up well. Yesterday, a near 15 ft wave came out of nowhere (normal sets were 6-8 ft) and completely drenched me, my 6D, my 17-40L, and my backpack (with 24-70L II in it), and my tripod. Even with immediate drying efforts, the 6D was toast, along with the 17-40. Thankfully, the 24-70 was able to stay dry in my pack.

All total, about $2500 in gear was lost. I'm just glad I have insurance, so the lens and body have now been mailed off and I should be getting reimbursed within a few days. At that point I might pick up a 5D3 instead, might as well.

The damage:
215GI9R.jpg

The last photo ever taken by the 6D, a test exposure as I set up to do a 1 minute long-expo. I'm about 15 ft up on a rock, which the wave completely covered.
4U4ArvA.jpg

Goodnight, sweet prince.

Update: Not even 30 minutes after shipping the packages, I've already got the Amazon gift card for the lens ($750) via email. Pretty great service on SquareTrade's part. The camera (being over $1000) will require a few extra days.

Well, I guess one chapter has ended and a new chapter begins...

Ouch! Always painful to lose gear. I'm happy you're getting such great service out of this. Might ease some of the sting, anyway. :) .

Dang man. That sucks. I guess it's time for an upgrade.

That must have been a pretty monstrous wave. DSLRs are more durable than you'd expect. But then again, it's salt water, which is infamously corrosive to electronics.

Hope you get some new gear quick.

I sure am glad to hear you had insurance. A little over a year ago I phoned my insurance company... just to check how my home-owners insurance covers my camera. It was a bit confusing because the person at the other end kept insisting that my policy covers me from "all perils" ... but added "on my property". I kept asking her to re-explain and she kept telling me everything was covered... but then I asked her why she kept saying "on my property".

It was then that she finally seemed to have the epiphany... that I would actually leave my own yard when using my camera and wanted to make sure my gear was covered. <sigh>

It turns out my gear was NOT covered. I ended up buying an addendum to my insurance policy to cover my camera (and other gear) so that I'm covered even when I'm away from home.

What's the best (see: relatively cheap) insurance to use for camera gear? I don't own a home and really the only insurance I have right now for a personal possessions is my car. lol

What's the best (see: relatively cheap) insurance to use for camera gear? I don't own a home and really the only insurance I have right now for a personal possessions is my car. lol

Right now, I have a SquareTrade plan for all of my L lenses, and have always had them for my bodies. They're transferrable if folks buy your lenses, and so far their customer service has been great. They do have a 5 day guarantee from when they get the item to when you have a new one or a refund.

I also have an extended renters insurance policy to cover theft, since SquareTrade doesn't cover that. They do cover accidental damage, which to me is my main concern.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back