Google Earth your area to find photography locations

SteveEllis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

I've just been using google earth to look at where I live so find some stuff to shoot, theres so much stuff hidden away that looks awesome to shoot.

I followed my local river and found an old ship, going to go shoot it tomorrow.

googleearth.jpg

Cant wait to go, its only a few minutes from my house and I never knew it was there!

That is actually an awesome tip!! I think I'll go do a little google earthing when I get home tonight.

THanks for sharing!

I've been doing it for the past year or so. It's a great tool!

That's sweet, I'll definitely have to try that. I'm interesting in seeing the result of your shoot, too.

And is google earth free?

Yes Google Earth is free. Also, it could be a great idea to attach a Google Earth link to landscape pictures (if possible) so everybody can have a better idea where the shot was taken.

Well, I went down there for a wander today but couldnt get near the ship as the metal reclamation yard has extended its gates so I cant get in, I'm going to pop down when they are open to see if they'll let me have a look.

But I did go for a wander to somewere I could just about see it, took this with my 300mm lens of a bridge about 1/2 mile up river, I've had to zoom in using PP to see the ship, it appears to be an old light house boat.

Heres hoping they'll let me get close, failing that I'll have to use my cunning :lol:

ship.jpg

Sounds like a good idea. How you do find places though? Do you just look at the map or search for specific things, like parks?

You just type in your area and have a nose about.

Failing that you can virtually travel the world, zoom in on the Pyramids, look at the hollywood sign etc.

Definitely worth installing.
http://earth.google.com/

Maybe that's the problem. I live in OKC and there's not much around...period. LOL. I used Google Earth to look up my house and other stuff around. Unfortunately, the pictures haven't been updated from over 3 years ago. Bummer.

Just google earth'd oklahoma city, theres soooo much stuff around!

Myriad Botanical Gardens
Canal
Baseball grounds
Ford Centre
Lake Hefner Lighthouse
There also appears to be an airforce base, could get some cool take off shots.

thats so awesome !!

thanks for the idea

Just google earth'd oklahoma city, theres soooo much stuff around!

Myriad Botanical Gardens
Canal
Baseball grounds
Ford Centre
Lake Hefner Lighthouse
There also appears to be an airforce base, could get some cool take off shots.

I have tons of shots from the Myriad Botanical Gardens. LOL. The airforce base is inaccessible. I love the photo ops at the fair and there's a park I go a lot too. There's a lake we go to that's fun to take pictures of the kids and wildlife. We don't get much time to go there lately. There are lots of places around town that I'd like to get pictures of but many places aren't safe for a 5' 2" woman to be walking around with an expensive camera. LOL.

Most reactions

Back