got a 35mm SLR - tempted

samal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My uncle just gave me Minolta Maxxum 400si 35mm camera with Sigma 35-80 lens.

I am tempted to load some B&W film and go try it out - I used to shoot film some 20 years ago in Russia, I had Zorki 4 rangefinder camera and my own darkroom, but all skills are forgotten now.

Can someone recommend a good film for starters and say few words about the camera?

i'd just get some kodak max or something. if it's just testing, keep it cheap.

The standard high-quality stuff for B&W is Ilford HP5+ or FP4+, although I prefer Agfapan APX-400. Just buy 1 or 2 rolls of whichever box you think looks coolest though, it really doesn't matter.

kodak BW400CN and Ilford xp2 super will both be able to be developped nearly anywhere since they are c-41. Never tried either, but i heard they're both pretty good

^^ the kodak is uber contrasty, i've never tried the XP2.

However, I have seen silver prints made from XP2 in the darkroom, as if it were conventional B&W. The prints came out unusually smooth and devoid of contrast. Go figure..

Probably used on a modern version of Panalure or some such. A black and white paper that can make good prints from C41 negs.

I go with the others. Get some film, cheap house brand stuff and knock yourself out. Get it one houred so you can see the results quick. Then ponder reentering the darkside.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back