Got a 70-200mm F2.8 VR2...

I can tell you, there's no comparison. While the 55-300 is a 'capable' lens, it is not even close to the IQ of the 70-200. KMH alludes to other lenses which are optically nice but NOWHERE near as fast to focus and lack VR which is awesome! I've been able to get usable shots at 200mm f2.6 at 1/20 of a second...do that with a 80-200? No, your money is well spent! You will be amazed at what you are capable of now.

I disagree with this. I could agree with the Porsche/Kia comparison to an extent because with a Porsche you get a lot more car for a lot more money. But all this post does is insult a pretty good product. A product that under good lighting conditions performs very well. Not everyone can afford the Porsche level lens. Nor does everyone need it. In dollar and cents terms if the 55-300 can accomplish the user's needs 70% to 80% of the time is spending almost six times more to get that last 20% money well spent?

For the money the 55-300 is very good lens. And bang for buck, even better!

And i totally disagree with what your saying... The 55-300 is a mediocre lens at best. The AF speed is VERY slow, its build quality (plastic) is poor and its not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you look at bang-for-buck the 55-300 isn't that great.

Nikon 55-300 @ $397 (current price)

or.. Save $154 and get the just as good Nikon 55-200 ($246). The 55-300 isn't that sharp from 200-300 so your not loosing much. Same build quality.. Same AF speed.. just $150 cheaper.

or.. (and this is where you are wrong)... Save $50 and get a Nikon refurbished 70-300VR. Pro-level build quality, Pro-Level AF speed, Sharper then the 'Kit' lenses, Will move with you to FX in the future.

IMHO... For less money the 'bang-for-buck' 'very good lens' in this range is the 70-300VR. At the end of the day the 55-300 is a plastic kit lens. Calling it a Kia is insulting (Kia makes some good cars :D )

Back on topic.. Enjoy the 70-200VR2!!!!! Its spring sports season... Hit the local park and catch a youth soccer or baseball game :)

That is a great idea, as I work in the military aviation industry. Unfortunately, the airport and police in the Atlanta area frown very heavily upon people taking photos of aircraft as they land or takeoff from the runways....

Congrats, that is a great lens!

What to shoot? How about going to the nearest major airport and taking pix of planes landing and taking off. The 2.8 will give plenty of latitude with light. That lens is also very good at airshows though not far reaching

Want to see just how good those pix are? Submit them to one of the major jetliner photo sites for publication. Be prepared for rejection. Everyone gets rejected. If you are rejected they will tell you exactly why. Which can only make you better the next time out.

Plane spotting and photography is perfectly legal at Hartsfield(ATL) in Atlanta. here is a link to get you started:

www.flightlineaviationmedia.com/planespotting/locations/atlanta-atl/

A few notes and rules about taking pix around airports:

Always carry ID

Always be cooperative

If asked to leave, even when the LEO doing so has overstepped their authority, do so.

Stay in the accepted areas for watching planes.

Do not disobey warning signs, such as no trespassing or no parking signs.

A word about the law and photography:

If it is in a public space you can take a picture of it, unless there are signs saying otherwise. You cross a line when there is an expectation of privacy. And even there that line is fuzzy.

Plane spotting by following the rules and you're more likely to have problems at the local park with a parent than at the airport.

Those using Nikon 70-200 f4 or 2.8 usually carry teleconverters. Sorry can't remember which ones. But depending on which runways are active not always needed.

You want full frame shots ( not full frame as in non DX -full frame as in fill the pic with airplane)

if you write down the registration numbers of the planes ( usually found low on the fuselage behind the wing) google them and usually you find pictures of that very same plane in all sorts of different locations.

here is link that can hook you up with air traffic control. There is an app so you can use an Iphone. With the iphone there is a five minute delay. The airport code for Hartsfield-Jackson is ATL

www.liveatc.net

Good luck have fun!

( for some reason the first link i posted takes you a yahoo page. The direct link is there, forth or fifth from the top)

Last edited:
I disagree with this. I could agree with the Porsche/Kia comparison to an extent because with a Porsche you get a lot more car for a lot more money. But all this post does is insult a pretty good product. A product that under good lighting conditions performs very well. Not everyone can afford the Porsche level lens. Nor does everyone need it. In dollar and cents terms if the 55-300 can accomplish the user's needs 70% to 80% of the time is spending almost six times more to get that last 20% money well spent?

For the money the 55-300 is very good lens. And bang for buck, even better!

And i totally disagree with what your saying... The 55-300 is a mediocre lens at best. The AF speed is VERY slow, its build quality (plastic) is poor and its not the sharpest tool in the shed.

If you look at bang-for-buck the 55-300 isn't that great.

Nikon 55-300 @ $397 (current price)

or.. Save $154 and get the just as good Nikon 55-200 ($246). The 55-300 isn't that sharp from 200-300 so your not loosing much. Same build quality.. Same AF speed.. just $150 cheaper.

or.. (and this is where you are wrong)... Save $50 and get a Nikon refurbished 70-300VR. Pro-level build quality, Pro-Level AF speed, Sharper then the 'Kit' lenses, Will move with you to FX in the future.

IMHO... For less money the 'bang-for-buck' 'very good lens' in this range is the 70-300VR. At the end of the day the 55-300 is a plastic kit lens. Calling it a Kia is insulting (Kia makes some good cars :D )

Back on topic.. Enjoy the 70-200VR2!!!!! Its spring sports season... Hit the local park and catch a youth soccer or baseball game :)

Kia does make some good cars. Just none as powerful as a Porsche. Which is what the point of the comparison was all about. As for your opinion of the 55-300, I'll use another another car analogy - You will never convince the owner of a BMW that a Honda is just as good and they paid double the price for a car for no reason. ( other than wanting what they want)

BTW, I've owned seven BMWs and seven Hondas. I speak from experience.

I stand by my opinion of the 55-300. I would have bought one myself had i not wanted the FX compatibility of the 70-300. And yes, i know that the 70-300 doesn't compare as well either to the 70-200 2.8. But 80% of the performance for less than 1/3 the price, what's not to like?

Last edited:
I disagree with this. I could agree with the Porsche/Kia comparison to an extent because with a Porsche you get a lot more car for a lot more money.

Then change Kia Forte to Subaru BRZ. The analogy is good; having owned both*.

*not the VR2, but the Tamron VC.

Plane spotting and photography is perfectly legal at Hartsfield(ATL) in Atlanta.

Perfectly legal. Well that takes most of the fun out of it right there.. lol

Always carry ID

You mean your own? Because I can tell you from experience the Inspector Gadget one.. well, doesn't go over real big. Go figure.

Always be cooperative

So no head butting. Right. Explains a lot. Wish someone had mentioned it before.

If asked to leave, even when the LEO doing so has overstepped their authority, do so.

So does that also apply if the LEO is a Taurus? Or a Gemini?

Oh, and Flammable, No smoking. Yup.. that's a real good one to obey there. Umm.. just take my word for it.

Enough of the gum-flappin' in this thread.

Where's the photos?

Better yet, where's the photos of bacon?

Plane spotting and photography is perfectly legal at Hartsfield(ATL) in Atlanta.

Perfectly legal. Well that takes most of the fun out of it right there.. lol

Its not if you duct tape a 200mW laser pointer to your lens to help aim.... i've never seen so many cops in my life... Anybody know how to get taken off the 'no fly' list?

I spent the afternoon at Philly International. I stood out by the end of the main approach runway today. The light was crap but i stayed anyway. The place was crawling with cops. More than usual. I waved, I smiled, I clicked away, no problem!

BTW, if anyone is looking for a really good budget zoom telephoto lens the old Nikon 70-210 4-5.6 is really a tough act to beat. One reviewer called it a Pro lens for an amateur price. Don't think i'd go that far, but good is what it is.

There are two, a D version and a non D. The non D was produced through the late 80s, and the D came in around the early nineties. Both are optically the same. Both outperform every consumer lens in the same range made by Nikon today. Both will work with all DX and FX bodies. And, it really does give the pro lenses some competition.

I bought one of these way back in the late 80s to take sports pix of my kids. This lens still works great. I used it today and had forgotten how good it is. I have the non D version. ken Rockwell reviewed this lens about 7 or 8 years ago, giving it such a glowing review that the price of the lens about tripled on the used market. Today, the Rockwell premium is once again off so copies, if you can find them, under $200. Wow, under 2 bills and not plastic! Just sayin', something to think about.

Last edited:
We used to have a place near the runway where we could just sit and watch them TO and land. Then the worry-warts closed the street.

National Guard F-18s

I have a friend who, after taking a picture of a courthouse was detained by police. it actually went further than that. Point being massive over reaction for no reason.

I have a friend who, after taking a picture of a courthouse was detained by police. it actually went further than that. Point being massive over reaction for no reason.

Simply ask, "Am I being arrested, or am I free to go?" over and over.

Simply ask, "Am I being arrested, or am I free to go?" over and over.

You are right. Unfortunately not always the way it goes down.

In my friend's case he ended up with a high five figure settlement and one officer lost his job after being convicted of assault. Things get serious when the guy you are roughing up is a DC lawyer with thirty years of constitutional law under his belt. Video cameras from area businesses also helped. Oddly the camera at the courthouse malfunctioned the day of the assault. Go figure!

While he prevailed in the end, what happened to him, still happened. Scary!

Speaking from experience taking pix in and around airports I've never had a problem. I'm very careful to obey all the rules.

Thanks for the info. Have you been to Hartsfield? If so, which runways are best for photos. I realize the direction of the wind will play a big part.

Also, I dont have a teleconverter, but I do have the Kinko extention tubes. Will these be of use with the 70-200mm?

Thanks

That is a great idea, as I work in the military aviation industry. Unfortunately, the airport and police in the Atlanta area frown very heavily upon people taking photos of aircraft as they land or takeoff from the runways....

Congrats, that is a great lens!

What to shoot? How about going to the nearest major airport and taking pix of planes landing and taking off. The 2.8 will give plenty of latitude with light. That lens is also very good at airshows though not far reaching

Want to see just how good those pix are? Submit them to one of the major jetliner photo sites for publication. Be prepared for rejection. Everyone gets rejected. If you are rejected they will tell you exactly why. Which can only make you better the next time out.

Plane spotting and photography is perfectly legal at Hartsfield(ATL) in Atlanta. here is a link to get you started:

www.flightlineaviationmedia.com/planespotting/locations/atlanta-atl/

Always carry ID

Always be cooperative

Stay in the accepted areas for watching planes.

A word about the law and photography:

If it is in a public space you can take a picture of it, unless there are signs saying otherwise. You cross a line when there is an expectation of privacy. And even there that line is fuzzy.

Plane spotting by following the rules and you're more likely to have problems at the local park with a parent than at the airport.

Those using Nikon 70-200 f4 or 2.8 usually carry teleconverters. Sorry can't remember which ones. But depending on which runways are active not always needed.

You want full frame shots ( not full frame as in non DX -full frame as in fill the pic with airplane)

if you write down the registration numbers of the planes ( usually found low on the fuselage behind the wing) google them and usually you find pictures of that very same plane in all sorts of different locations.

here is link that can hook you up with air traffic control. There is an app so you can use an Iphone. With the iphone there is a five minute delay. The airport code for Hartsfield-Jackson is ATL

www.liveatc.net

Good luck have fun!

( for some reason the first link i posted takes you a yahoo page. The direct link is there, forth or fifth from the top)

Most reactions

Back