Got a new LCD monitor

markc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markcarpenter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My old Viewsonic E790 19" CRT has served me well, but it wasn't until recently that I noticed had bad it had been getting. I've been using a ColorVision Spyder to keep it balanced, but the brightness was dying. If I bring up a greyscale gradient in 20 blocks, the darkest 8 look black unadjusted. Even with the Spyder doing it's thing, the best it can get is 6 blocks all looking the same as black.

I've been putting off getting a new monitor because companies just aren't making the good CRTs anymore, and it didn't look like the LCD tech was really there yet. I felt I had to get somthing, though. After looking into it, I found some good LCDs, but they were pretty expensive. And then finally I came across some reviews for the Viewsonic VP930b. It looks to be the best average-Joe-priced LCD for all around work. It's fast enough for gaming, and the color accuracy is good enough for Photoshop work.

So I decided to get one and spent about $335 for it at Newegg (shipped free when I ordered). Good grief, this thing is bright! Okay, that's just because it's an LCD, and I'm comparing it to my old monitor. I haven't done a lot with it yet, but after calibrating it with the Spyder, I brought up some images in Photoshop and spent a few minutes with it in Halflife 2: Episode 1. Nice! It hurts my eyes a little bit when reading e-mail, but hopefully I'll get used to it. And it looks like I got lucky and don't have any dead or hot pixels.

So if anyone is contimplating a new LCD, I think it would be a good monitor to check out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116365
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/17/viewsonic_vp930_lcd_monitor/index.html

Thanks for the post! My desktop is currently dominated by a 21" and a 19" CRT and I really want to dump them both for a couple of 19" LCDs (well, one at first then another later) but I also have the dual role of work and gaming.

8ms is as "slow" as I am comfortable going with gaming and it sounds like from your review that it works well.

I can highly recommend AG Neovo if you're on a budget. Mine is a 19" with 12ms and DVI, I don't do much gaming but it did work great with Half-Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 (the latter being reasonably fast-paced) with no ghosting or anything. One dead pixel. Doesn't bother me. Ridiculously cheap. Unfortunately that model's now been replaced by another with the same name but with a higher contrast ratio but 4ms instead of 12. I'd still recomment the company though if cost is an issue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back