Got a wedding curveball for ya'.

dtlasky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, so I've searched and searched. Nothing. Read all the tips, manuals and books I can find. But this time, I've got a curveball for you.

To put it lightly, I'm no professional however the reason I am posting in the professional forum is because I need a professionals help.

So, Im still young but I have shot a handful of weddings, with few complaints as of yet (from myself and clients). However this upcoming wedding has presented me with a challenge. Even though I myself don't have absolutely the best equipment I know what I have, how to use it, and use it well. At my best friend's brother's impromptu wedding that is soon to be here, he has asked me to photograph. However he ABSOLUTELY INSISTS that I use his camera and lenses. Now I know that he has an Olympus E-500 and maybe 2 lenses (which I'm sure are not very fast). At this point I have not a clue where the wedding is going to take place. What I need you professionals help with is.....

How can I compensate with this equipment and still get some decent photos?

I know that the ceremony is going to be rather small, and that a larger one will follow later in the summer, however I want to get some good photos during the actual marriage.

Basically I am stuck at this point, and I don't want to let him down. Using my own stuff is out of the question, even after insisting and pleading.

I know that he understands my experience level and what he should expect from me, but do you know of any tricks to enhance lighting ect. using maybe a flash or two?

Any and all constructive help is appreciated.

Dan

Dan I don't understand why he is insisting on making you use his equipment if yours is better suited for the job? If it were me I just wouldn't do it if I had the equipment sitting around that would do it better.

Did he say why he has this particular request? Sounds kinda odd to me.

It sounds like you are fairly familiar with your equipment. If made to use something else, you probably could slog your way through it, but you are going to constantly be hunting for switches/buttons and double checking settings, which means potentially missing a lot of good shots. If you really don't want to disappoint him, then ask to borrow the equipment for some time beforehand to get familiar with it.

Myself, I think I would have to politely turn him down if he was that insistant. I know every button on my camera without removing my eye from the viewfinder, and would not want to have to deal with something I am completely unfamiliar with, especially to shoot a wedding, of all things.

Tell him that you will have to charge an extra 1000 bucks to learn his equipment.

I would use what you got, and then maybe rent some lenses/speed lights if needed.

What are you shooting with anyways?

It might be one of those situations that you have to say it is either my way or I won't do it. It almost sounds like a no win situation for you. I would just let him know that you are the professional here and this is the way that it is going to be or you cannot be their photographer. It is not as if this guy can bad mouth you either, he has put some really dumb restrictions on you.

First off what is your equipment. If your using a DSLR with off camera flashes and fast glass I dont understand why he would insist you use his camera.

Well you can, but let him know without a doubt that it is entirely his fault when you get through to the end of the wedding and he sees you haven't taken a shot yet because you couldn't figure out where the power button is.

Honestly this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Tell him politely to go screw himself or charge him a ridiculous fee and request he gives you the camera 3 weeks early so you can learn to use it.

Did he say why he has this particular request? Sounds kinda odd to me.

It sounds like you are fairly familiar with your equipment. If made to use something else, you probably could slog your way through it, but you are going to constantly be hunting for switches/buttons and double checking settings, which means potentially missing a lot of good shots. If you really don't want to disappoint him, then ask to borrow the equipment for some time beforehand to get familiar with it.

Myself, I think I would have to politely turn him down if he was that insistant. I know every button on my camera without removing my eye from the viewfinder, and would not want to have to deal with something I am completely unfamiliar with, especially to shoot a wedding, of all things.

agreed

I think he may want this becuase he thinks it will give him "rights" to all the pictures for some reason. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me. If you cant do it the way you want to do it then refuse him.

My concern...is what else may come up. If he's making this odd request, what will he do or say if the photos are in any way, not what he expected.

If you were a working pro and this was a potential client, I'd suggest just walking away.

That being said, it's probably not that big of a deal to just use his gear.

Tell him if you have to use his equipment then you get to choose his bride...

Ok, so I've searched and searched. Nothing. Read all the tips, manuals and books I can find. But this time, I've got a curveball for you.

To put it lightly, I'm no professional however the reason I am posting in the professional forum is because I need a professionals help.

So, Im still young but I have shot a handful of weddings, with few complaints as of yet (from myself and clients). However this upcoming wedding has presented me with a challenge. Even though I myself don't have absolutely the best equipment I know what I have, how to use it, and use it well. At my best friend's brother's impromptu wedding that is soon to be here, he has asked me to photograph. However he ABSOLUTELY INSISTS that I use his camera and lenses. Now I know that he has an Olympus E-500 and maybe 2 lenses (which I'm sure are not very fast). At this point I have not a clue where the wedding is going to take place. What I need you professionals help with is.....

How can I compensate with this equipment and still get some decent photos?

I know that the ceremony is going to be rather small, and that a larger one will follow later in the summer, however I want to get some good photos during the actual marriage.

Basically I am stuck at this point, and I don't want to let him down. Using my own stuff is out of the question, even after insisting and pleading.

I know that he understands my experience level and what he should expect from me, but do you know of any tricks to enhance lighting ect. using maybe a flash or two?

Any and all constructive help is appreciated.

Dan
Tell him that using someone else's equipment makes you nervous and that nervousness causes you to drop things.

Most reactions

Back