Got Coronas?

gtkelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Honest feedback on this image appreciated!

MB-1.jpg

Put me down for a Beautiful shot!

I would have thought Horizontal for this type, but like you, I would capitalize on that great sky.. With sun probably behind those great clouds, it rendered little light and detail on Beach, and person in the shot.. ---> Which again works great.. This is a real mood shot..

Composition Super/ and techs' nicely done..

The lighting is very poor-- drab and overcast. The ocean is neither exciting nor ominous. The sand is dark and gray. Shadows on what subjects there are, are too heavy. Capturing exciting and/or colorful landscapes is often highly dependent upon what conditions naturally present themselves to you. I would not have seen these as opportune for a photograph.

Id have to agree with Max here. It doesn't seem to really bring much to the table (giving the conditions). It feels a bit gloomy to me, which is totally okay...but if this was a slide show id just click next immediately becuase nothing pulls me into the picture.

On the other hand, I do feel that this part of the world should be rightly represented. Not everything is bright sunny days with hot silky like sand going through your toes. So, Id say keep at it and look for some examples of gloomy like days at the beach. :thumbup:

Id have to agree with Max here. It doesn't seem to really bring much to the table (giving the conditions). It feels a bit gloomy to me, which is totally okay...but if this was a slide show id just click next immediately becuase nothing pulls me into the picture.

On the other hand, I do feel that this part of the world should be rightly represented. Not everything is bright sunny days with hot silky like sand going through your toes. So, Id say keep at it and look for some examples of gloomy like days at the beach. :thumbup:

That was very well put!! "" Not everything is bright sunny days" I think that is how I was trying to explain myself here also, but YOU , lol , did it much better!!

Well put!!

Yeah, I'm sure this photograph was really a statement about the mundane character of day-to-day life. Give me a break.

Yeah, I'm sure this photograph was really a statement about the mundane character of day-to-day life. Give me a break.
Judging from the title this probably wasn't meant to be that mundane side this photographer was after. But, sometimes its good to fall short of what your goal is too possibly stumble upon another side of your style you didn't know existed.

OP, I think you were probably just going for the generic title when you posted because this clearly isn't a corona type picture.
corona.jpg

Like I said though, explore this other side of beaches...it may serve you well. There is a picture I really liked somewhere around here "smoke on a beach" or something. It may be something that stimulates that "other side" of your photography.

Good luck

-Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxBloom

Awwww you know this for fact? Inside scoop? or are you thinking of your own cover up on the Ever Famed ---> WATERLILLY SHOT ( Landscapes)?

Not only are your comments usually arrogant, you seem to also have a talent of reading minds?? Wouldn't it have been better for you to ask----> gtkelly if this was the type effect he/she was going for?? Do you really know it wasn't the look he/she was after??

Chances are , you are right , this wasn't the effect they wanted, but after processing , thought , this looks pretty good ??

I'm a big believer that once a critique is underway the person starting should not respond to avoid steering the comments. But...

This shot was taken on a Friday evening. There had been rain for 2 days and a large storm was blowing in. Saturday is normally check out day at the beach. My thought when taking this picture was that these people were enjoying their stay (weather permitting) as long as possible and were grasping at what decent weather was available. It was a grab shot as I left the beach. The sand, darkness, and overall mood are representative of what I saw. And I do like the image... No this isn't a standard Corona shot. The title mostly came from the fact that I was drinking one as I posted the image.

Regarding comments. My measure of whether I should take a comment seriously is most often determined after I have viewed that person's work. So while all comments are welcome they are filtered and some I just completely ignore.

Comments from those that routinely offer opinion while not participating through posting their own work fall into the 'Who cares what they think' category...

gtkelly.... Oh have you made my day! I have preached this sermon to people here since a member....

I APPLAUD YOUR FOLLOWING QUOTE!! BRAVO BRAVO!!

""""" Regarding comments. My measure of whether I should take a comment seriously is most often determined after I have viewed that person's work. So while all comments are welcome they are filtered and some I just completely ignore.

Comments from those that routinely offer opinion while not participating through posting their own work fall into the 'Who cares what they think' category... """""

BRAVO !! BRAVO !! AND YET, ONE MORE BRAVO!!! my feelings since day one, glad to hear another ones feelings on this...

Great, another 'Now you know the rest of the story- you ingrate', threads.

I'm starting to find these sensitivity sessions fascinating and the forum may be better labeled, 'Feelings'.

Drab and mundane are valid both in weather and emotions, and if that is what you were trying to express, the mark has been hit. If not, don't let it get you down or piss you off. There are some good compositional elements and form. The shot doesn't reflect the title. Looks to me more like they're out of weed on the last day of vacation. Corona's are an easy score. If you can't think of a title, call it a number.

Take it and consider it. I think you're getting better.

abraxas is right on . . .

the title you gave it also led me to believe this was an attempt at mimicing coronas ads, which would have immediately led me to critique this with no pop, dull light, low saturation . . . but since its not relevent neither is that critique. it doesn't do anything for me considering it either way though. the emotion isn't really there for me. BUT its right in line with most beach experiences i've had, and is right on the mark for what i think of when someone says beach (except now that i've been to a good beach finally :wink:)

Nah - not pissed or down. It was an effort and by posting it here I have learned a couple things which was my intent.

My comment on comments (that sounds stupid) is simply that as a very new photographer I don't really know good ones from bad. The only way I can tell that is by looking at the posters photos. If there are none I have no way to tell if the critique they are providing is valid.

The first 2-3 photos I put up here I literally tried to change the pict based on every comment. All I did was turn a bad pic into complete crap. To me the fact I didn't blow the highlights out on this one is a major victory...

A HUGE suggestion from me would be a, that you take everything with a grain of salt, b: NOT IGNORE A CRITIQUE BECAUSE ITS BEING POSTED BY SOMEONE WHOS PHOTOS YOU DON'T LIKE.

Most reactions

Back