Got Lucky in AC Last Night. Have Some Extra Cash To Spend On Glass

Hof8231

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to Atlantic City over the weekend. Went there with 4 figures to spend, came back with 5. I guess it's time to come clean and admit that that's how I have this much money to spend on equipment. I gamble a lot, and I'm good at it. Looking to add to my glass collection. I really like my Canon L glass but I also really like my Tamron 24-70, so I don't know if upgrading to the Canon 24-70 is worth it. I was thinking about investing in the 16-35, but I really don't use wide angle all that much. I've been looking at the new version of the Sigma 120-300 2.8 because I've heard really good things about it and I feel like it'd be really useful for sport/event photography, which is what I'm most into. Have also been looking at a non-IS version of the 300 or 400 2.8. I know IS is essentially worthless when it comes to sport, but are there any big advantages to the IS version other than IS itself?

For me at least, all else being reasonably equal, I would chose a Sigma lens over Canon and Tamron. I would always chose a zoom over a prime lens any day of the week. Primes have their place but since I shoot wildlife, zoos, aquariums, etc. a prime lens has no place around me. It's better to have IS available than to not have it at all. Sigma's 50-500mm is my favorite lens because it's so versatile. BTW, if you're shooting an APSC camera I recommend the Sigma 18-250mm macro.

At the risk of being flamed, I personally believe super fast lens are status symbols and are basically rip offs. Most of the time the lens will be stopped down to f8 or thereabouts anyway so what's the big deal about a super expensive super fast lens. They might have been important back in the days of 35mm cameras and perhaps in the early days of digital photography. However nowadays with noise reduction software and all the other software available to a photographer I think they're just a waste of money. I shoot quite a bit of photos, many in low light, and I've never felt the the need for a super fast lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back