Got my 5D Mark II

*definatly wants one now*
from what I have read most of the users of the video mode agreed that it worked best on a tripod = but those are great handheld results!
how do they look at 100%?

*definatly wants one now*
from what I have read most of the users of the video mode agreed that it worked best on a tripod = but those are great handheld results!
how do they look at 100%?

Ah the videos at 100%. My computer can't play them, unfortunately - still figuring that out so I can at least edit them. I have a laptop - 4gb ram, Core 2 Duo, but with a intel 965 chipset running the graphics. That is probably the culprit. The video is extremely choppy until I get them to Smugmug. But, the video at 1080p (have a Samsung T240 monitor) does look tight and very sharp, crisp, clean, you name it - it's great. Just need to get a good computer to power this monster of a video.

Also, you're right about the tripod - I'm not used to having to use a tripod for everything, but with video it just makes sense. I have a decent Slik tripod that moves smooth and is solid. Just gotta use it.

For one video, I used my lensbaby 2.0. Now, that was fun and very unique :) I'll get around to posting it in a few.

Although the single video frames look good, I wonder if the 'feature' is misunderstood here as the camera can take a high resolution jpg, briefly interrupting the video being recorded. Both applications will have their uses.

If your laptop has any expandability such a 16bit PCI-Express slot, then I imagine the Core 2 & GPU combination can deliver you from integrated graphics. I'm on a Core 2 2.8 W/4 Gigs of ram and can play back the 1080P footage without a drop, although this system does have two Nvidia 8700M GT's running in SLI, I am driving a 24 inch display.

If I were buying today I would supplement my laptop with a mid range brand name iCore7 - Nehalem box. The new memory architecture is smokin!

Thanks for the continued updates. One funny thing for me is I literally spent a week perfecting my tripod in anticipation of my 5DmII. I hope to do some motor pans and tricky time lapse pans with it... I will be weighting against vibrations well.

BTW - I'm thinking my monopod could be weighted with a couple 6 volt batteries ($9 ea, home depot) and a few other minor modifications to make a DIY steadycam! Wire the two 6's for 12 volts and dual purpose the thing.

There is a device out there (VariZoom Flow Pod) and some threads showing my thinking is not my own. :lol:

The lensbaby stuff should be fun! I started dreaming about adding a tilt shift after seeing the tiny freeway in the demo footage! I probably won't be renting a helicopter, but I could rent the lens.

Thanks again for the fresh updates.

-Shea

Also, there's a 25600 shot of a tray of pumpkin seeds.

Being able to shoot 6400 ISO is impressive enough, but the idea of high ISO capability is to shoot object in the "lack of light" environment with manageble shutter speed. Those pumpkin seeds look like was shot in the "abundant of light" environmant.

If you shoot the object in the "lack of light" environment - starting with ISO 100 all the way to 25600 - than you will see the diminishing quality of the high ISO. The idea is: how much is the differences between this ISO with that ISO. That what people spend the money for. Money that is worth to shoot in the dark.

You may do it only when you have free time, and thanks in advance.

Being able to shoot 6400 ISO is impressive enough, but the idea of high ISO capability is to shoot object in the "lack of light" environment with manageble shutter speed. Those pumpkin seeds look like was shot in the "abundant of light" environmant.

If you shoot the object in the "lack of light" environment - starting with ISO 100 all the way to 25600 - than you will see the diminishing quality of the high ISO. The idea is: how much is the differences between this ISO with that ISO. That what people spend the money for. Money that is worth to shoot in the dark.

You may do it only when you have free time, and thanks in advance.

Just went into the kitchen, turned off all the lights, and took some shots of cookies, ISOs ranging from 200 to 25600. Is this what you're talking about? I'm converting them to upload them now.

Just went into the kitchen, turned off all the lights, and took some shots of cookies, ISOs ranging from 200 to 25600. Is this what you're talking about? I'm converting them to upload them now.

Yes. Also can you please state underneath each shot the Shutter Speed used. (I don't read exif data of people shots et al, I consider it snooping)

Super jealous, looking forward to when I can grip my very own 5DM2.
Thanks for sharing and making me drool. =)

Yes. Also can you please state underneath each shot the Shutter Speed used. (I don't read exif data of people shots et al, I consider it snooping)

Sure. This test is going to surprise a lot of people, I think. I haven't seen high ISO photos taken in these conditions from this camera before - there is a huge line between 6400 and 12800. 6400 is grainy, but possibly acceptable...12800 is absolutely horrible, as in "What on earth is crawling all over my photo!?" 25600? You'll see.

I see lostprophet touting a D700 3200 photo around here - a photo of a backpack. It looks very clean - in that lighting, I would say the 3200 of the 5D Mark II performs well too, but boy, when you are shooting in virtual darkness it's pretty crazy how bad the grain can get. What you'll see in about an hour or two will be pretty bad.

I see lostprophet touting a D700 3200 photo around here - a photo of a backpack. It looks very clean - in that lighting,

I saw that photo. That's not the real test of high ISO.

I can see clearly the different of SS between f1.8 aperture and f5.6.
I wish my zoom lens is managable with that SS of f1.8, but at what price?
Same with high SS by high ISO, there is price to pay.

High speed lens and/or high speed ISO is for higher SS in the lack of light environment. My D40 is only goes to 3200, but that's what I get for $700. Actually less than $600 now.

Here's the room these photos took place (this photo is at 3200 :)):
IMG_0524-2.jpg

Taken in darkness:
ISO 200 f/1.8 10 seconds: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0515.jpg
ISO 400 f/1.8 5 seconds: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0516.jpg
ISO 800 f/1.8 2.5 seconds: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0517.jpg
ISO 1600 f/1.8 1.3 seconds: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0518.jpg
ISO 3200 f/1.8 0.5 seconds: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0519.jpg
ISO 6400 f/1.8 1/4 second: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0520.jpg
ISO 12800 f/1.8 1/8 second: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0521.jpg
ISO 25600 f/1.8 1/15 second: http://w3bolivar.com/lr/25600/IMG_0522.jpg

Last edited:
I saw that photo. That's not the real test of high ISO.

I can see clearly the different of SS between f1.8 aperture and f5.6.
I wish my zoom lens is managable with that SS of f1.8, but at what price?
Same with high SS by high ISO, there is price to pay.

High speed lens and/or high speed ISO is for higher SS in the lack of light environment. My D40 is only goes to 3200, but that's what I get for $700. Actually less than $600 now.

you mean 1600?

Keith, I don't need to be excited about a camera right now, but you're making it very difficult for me! :)

Keith, I don't need to be excited about a camera right now, but you're making it very difficult for me! :)

I take it you didn't see those high ISO shots I posted last....

Tomorrow night I will be going to two basketball games at my college to shoot some video. As I am completely new to video, if anyone has any advice for shooting basketball games, send me a PM.

Finally got my computer to play the 1080p h264 videos (thanks to some codec I downloaded for windows media player, believe it or not). Anyway, HOLY CRAP! This 1080p video is unreal! I mean, I was impressed by the internet-ready videos we've seen streamed, but my goodness, the video straight from the camera is absolutely stunning! And, I'm just looking at these cheesy thanksgiving videos. Can't wait for the basketball games tomorrow night! Wow, so clear, crisp. Unbelievable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back