Got my 5D Mark II

Hey Kieth I read a rumor that recording was stopping at around 4 minutes, have you maxed out yet?

Sorry I don't have any advice for your game shoot. Hopefully you have 3 batteries and a handful of CF cards.
An external mic could prove useful..

-Shea

Hey Kieth I read a rumor that recording was stopping at around 4 minutes, have you maxed out yet?

Sorry I don't have any advice for your game shoot. Hopefully you have 3 batteries and a handful of CF cards.

-Shea

Good question - I have only taken a few second clips - I'll give it a try. I would bet that a slow card could cause this problem though. I have some 133x cards that I've been using, and some 300x cards I bought for the video if I needed to hold a lot. I'll give it a try...

-Shea

Whelp, here I am using a Transcend 133x 8GB card - rated 5 stars & only cost $18 - the video kept taking for 13 minutes and 41 seconds :). Wow, I thought the 300x cards would be necessary...that's exciting!

14mins is the limit I think for video no matter how big the card is - and if you watch any TV and see how long single scenes are its quite surprising to see that 12mins is actually a very long time for a single run so its not even that limiting!

14mins is the limit I think for video no matter how big the card is - and if you watch any TV and see how long single scenes are its quite surprising to see that 12mins is actually a very long time for a single run so its not even that limiting!

Yeah I am not worried about the clip time. I think Canon even says 12 minutes, so I juiced an extra couple out of it. I am glad that 29 minutes is possible in SD mode, which will be nice for the family videos, like cousin Eddie's kid's school play.

Nice thing is, you can still use a 16gb card, so at the basketball games tonight, since I'll be taking clips, I'll be able to use the 16gb without having to swap cards. This isn't near the limitation I had expected.

Youtube has been providing a 720p version for a few weeks now. Search for &fmt=22 and the camera model to find videos. Just append the URL with &fmt=22 to view it in 720p. Currently, unlike vimeo, youtube preserves the original frame rate. You can upload the camera originals directly to YT as long as it's under 1GB. I really love this camera's HD and low light performance.

Q: I understand the quicktime files have 2 channels of PCM audio. Is that 1411Kbps 16bit PCM? And what is the quality of the AD converters and mic preamp input?

This YT channel,

http://www.youtube.com/user/Intomb

the guy doesn't say to append URL with &fmt=22 but he nonetheless uploaded camera original clips and YT does pretty good considering it's 2Mbps h264 720p.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DiVetWSUR0&fmt=22[/ame]

Wish I had the bucks to get this camera. My camcorder with slow shutter mode is just so poor in comparison.

The basketball games went well - I'm loading the videos & photos now. Felt weird going for fun, and having nicer equip than any of the guys/girls getting paid. Out of 3 slam dunks, got 2 of them and nailed the focus (I think....we'll see on a real monitor).

Speaking of focus, the shallow DOF is hard when you need to keep focus so fast. Canon was nice enough to save the aperture control for higher end cameras, but after some research, I found that I could do the following: When the camera is in Av mode (not taking video), make the aperture smaller, such as f/5.6 or f/8, hold the DOF preview button, and unlatch the lens just a hair. This is risky, but it worked VERY well. It was nice and easy, and worked very well for some of the up close fast paced action videos.

I'll upload some in a while :).

I'm impressed with the video on this thing. Definitely saving for this now!

..kicking myself for not using a tripod...

Don't kick too hard, your foot might get stuck! :lmao: Besides it always takes a while to warm up to new hardware. This part of the vid cracks me up:
checkinit.jpg

hahahaha uh oh... oh no.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back