Got my D5100 Today and snapped a few pics of my 3 month old.

Kingsize

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Testing my 5100 out today to get used to the settings and snapped a few pics of my son. Please critique...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Snapshots with great emotional value to you.

Yes it is... Thanks!

I was just curious if you could see any novice mistakes I could be making to help me hone my skills and improve the shot.

You used the pop up flash.

Yes it is... Thanks!

I was just curious if you could see any novice mistakes I could be making to help me hone my skills and improve the shot.
There is no EXIF data with the photos.

What shooting mode did you use?

Not sure how to include the EXIF data at all.

A lot nicer than cell phone pics, congrats on your new camera.

Shoot in raw mode and avoid the pop-up flash when possible.

a couple of great resources: cambridgeincolour.com and strobist.com (tutorials)

Kingsize said:

You could use a different hosting site... www.min.us works well for me.

A lot nicer than cell phone pics, congrats on your new camera.

Shoot in raw mode and avoid the pop-up flash when possible.

a couple of great resources: cambridgeincolour.com and strobist.com (tutorials)

I'll check it out, thanks. Not 100% on what the difference is between RAW and Jpeg (they look the same to me), but I have been trying to read up on it's benefits. I'll try to keep the flash off when possible.

Kingsize said:

You could use a different hosting site... www.min.us works well for me.

Thanks!

Jpeg is a finished product. Your camera applies settings (white balance, color saturation, sharpness, etc) to the image and that's what appears on your printed picture. RAW is the digital term for what used to be called a negative. Your camera displays a jpeg version of the shot regardless if you are set in jpeg or RAW. The difference is noted when you load them into editing software. You will see a flat looking image if it's taken RAW. A RAW file can be edited and changed a lot easier than a jpeg, and the file is a lot larger---about 5mb for jpge and 15-20 RAW. They take up more room on your memory card. Once it's edited, you convert it to a jpge or tiff file format.
I'd suggest a couple books to get you going:
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book 1,2,3, and in March 4
These will get you off on the right foot for photography in general and with enough knowledge and practice, you'll be taking the shots you want instead of 'snapshots' like everyone else!

On the question of flash, it's generally okay to use the on camera flash if you need fill light. Having said that, you may hear that the lighting is "flat." Ultimately, you'll probably want to upgrade and get another flash like the SB-700, SB-900, SB-910, etc., which will allow you to achieve "bounce flash" by shooting the flash off a wall or the ceiling. Lighting is much better when you do this.

What you will find on this forum is people will give you great advice on making your images really POP, nailing the lighting, composition, references to reading materials that are very helpful (2Wheel is dead on with his 2 recommendations). If you are new to photography and this is your first DSLR, you are going to need to jump in the deep end and totally immerse yourself in this stuff to get a really good understanding. Once you get up to speed, I think you'll find this an excellent forum to learn. Gotta have thick skin though because nobody (very few) will sugar coat it for you. You want C&C, you'll get direct C&C. Stick around, read a lot, learn, shoot more images of that beautiful boy and have fun.

Welcome. :wav:

Jpeg is a finished product. Your camera applies settings (white balance, color saturation, sharpness, etc) to the image and that's what appears on your printed picture. RAW is the digital term for what used to be called a negative. Your camera displays a jpeg version of the shot regardless if you are set in jpeg or RAW. The difference is noted when you load them into editing software. You will see a flat looking image if it's taken RAW. A RAW file can be edited and changed a lot easier than a jpeg, and the file is a lot larger---about 5mb for jpge and 15-20 RAW. They take up more room on your memory card. Once it's edited, you convert it to a jpge or tiff file format.
I'd suggest a couple books to get you going:
Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Book 1,2,3, and in March 4
These will get you off on the right foot for photography in general and with enough knowledge and practice, you'll be taking the shots you want instead of 'snapshots' like everyone else!

That makes much more sense that what I have been reading in regards to the RAW file. Maybe it was trying to be explained from a professional photographers point of view instead of an idiot with an overpriced point and shoot. LOL :lol:

I'll order the books from Amazon. Thanks!

On the question of flash, it's generally okay to use the on camera flash if you need fill light. Having said that, you may hear that the lighting is "flat." Ultimately, you'll probably want to upgrade and get another flash like the SB-700, SB-900, SB-910, etc., which will allow you to achieve "bounce flash" by shooting the flash off a wall or the ceiling. Lighting is much better when you do this.

What you will find on this forum is people will give you great advice on making your images really POP, nailing the lighting, composition, references to reading materials that are very helpful (2Wheel is dead on with his 2 recommendations). If you are new to photography and this is your first DSLR, you are going to need to jump in the deep end and totally immerse yourself in this stuff to get a really good understanding. Once you get up to speed, I think you'll find this an excellent forum to learn. Gotta have thick skin though because nobody (very few) will sugar coat it for you. You want C&C, you'll get direct C&C. Stick around, read a lot, learn, shoot more images of that beautiful boy and have fun.

Welcome. :wav:

I appreciate the info. I have been looking into lighting and also another lens now. After only one day with this kit lens it came with, I can tell it desperately needs help. This is my first DSLR as well as my first dive into any photography. I plan on jumping in head first.

I have no issues at all with C&C. My skin is thick as well, being a forum moderator on a major car site will do that to you. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back