Got my new lens!

I think it's cool you can actually see the rings, even if it is a bit white. So uh, what kind of flash are you using here? One that's the size of your city? I imagine you'll have to wait 2 minutes before the light actually gets there hey?

Chris I'm wishing you lived here in Australia now, i'd be asking if I could borrow your new toy so I could go star-gazing up at my farm...nearest major light source is 3hrs drive away. :D

What make/model scope is it? If it has rings around the tube one of them will be threaded and possibly have a 1/4" stud on it to mount your camera!

Does your Barlow have a thread on the end that you put the eyepeices in? If so all you should need is a T2 mount to suit your camera & you just thread that onto the Barlow without the eyepeice (lens projection) which will give you a 900mm lens!
Jessops.
JESTA900114.jpg

Hey, I told you it wouldn't match yours! :lol:

I'll have to look at the mount on the scope, I don't think it has a thread, jsut a hold with a grub screw. I know the eyepieces do though.
I'll have a nose at the SRB site later. Last time I checked they didn't have their catalogue on-line any more. :meh:
I could always make something on the lathe anyway. :)

And... STILL LOADS OF CLOUD UP THERE!!! :grumpy:

What phone is it? Some can't send e-mail for some reason. It also depends on what sort of sercive you're signed up to. Bluetooth should work. If not, have you got a cable with the phone so you can plug it into your computer?

Ooo, cool photo. I did mage to get one like that myself. It's not as good though. Bit small.

0290.jpg

It, erm... lots of moons... :blushing:

ferny said:
0290.jpg

It, erm... lots of moons... :blushing:

:biglaugh: Damn, rumbled! :lol:

Your scope is f 7.9 and should be quite good for planets especially the easy ones like Saturn which is up right now and Jupiter which will be up in the next month!:thumbup: I'd recommend buying a 10mm Plossl eyepeice which will also give you 5mm with the Barlow. Does the eyepeice holder screw onto the focuser? If so the it's likely to be a 42mm T2 thread so you can do lens projection with your camera!

Xmetal said:
Chris I'm wishing you lived here in Australia now, i'd be asking if I could borrow your new toy so I could go star-gazing up at my farm...nearest major light source is 3hrs drive away. :D

Yeah! I'm not jealous!:meh:

:lol:

Your lens is only six inches? Mines nearer three feet! :shock:

PlasticSpanner said:
:biglaugh: Damn, rumbled! :lol:

Your scope is f 7.9 and should be quite good for planets especially the easy ones like Saturn which is up right now and Jupiter which will be up in the next month!:thumbup: I'd recommend buying a 10mm Plossl eyepeice which will also give you 5mm with the Barlow. Does the eyepeice holder screw onto the focuser? If so the it's likely to be a 42mm T2 thread so you can do lens projection with your camera!
Here are a couple of photos. As you can see, no thread where the eyepieces go in but if I need to I guess I can buy a new one or make an adaptor.

And in the second one you can see the bits which came with it.
PL 6.5mm and PL 25mm Eyepieces
Barlow lens 2x
1.5X Erecting Lens

And the sky is still full of sodding cloud! :grumpy:

Attachments

• $image1.jpg
    $image1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 62
  • $image1-1.jpg
    $image1-1.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 57
That's the diameter of the primary mirror (the big one at the bottom of the tube) The bigger the mirror (aperture) then the more light the scope can collect. The legnth of the tube is relative to the magnification although this has a max thoeretical of 2 X aperture (mm)

Magnification is focal legnth devided by focal legnth of the eyepeice.:thumbup:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
£21? I'm much too tight for that! :lol:
Thanks though, I know what to look for now. :)

*goes off to get his instrustions*

The mirror is 114mm (so 4 1/2 inches). It says in the manual that the 25mm eyepiece will give me a 36x magnification, with the 1.5x erecting eyepiece it'll be 54x and with the 2x 72x. With the 6.5mm eyepiece it'll be 138x, 207x and then 276x. :)

Matty-Bass said:
So uh, what kind of flash are you using here? One that's the size of your city? I imagine you'll have to wait 2 minutes before the light actually gets there hey?

I got the biggest flash in the solar system on this one! :lol:

Takes about 10 mins for the flash to reach the planet then another 5 mins or so to reflect bach here! :D

Rob I'd love to get some shots of the moon esp now as it's a crescent. If only I could get these damn clouds out of the way! :x

Arty, at 12 lb for the tube alone my neck wouldn't last long! :lol:

Most reactions

Back