Got to play with a 135 f2 DC lens for a few days....

JTPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yep. The Nikon f/2 DC lenses are sweet.
Lots of pro portrait photographers use both the 105 mm f/2 DC and the 135 mm f/2 DC.

Odd thing is I just bought an old 135 f2 ai, after playing with the DC lens I am so impressed I think I will sell the old one and go for the DC, used copy of course, I don't want to play full price. I have used the DC function but the effect is subtle. The bokeh is stellar without it. Both of the shots below were in DC mode.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t134/pugnacious33/_DSC1640 sm_zpscq1ronto.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t134/pugnacious33/_DSC1644%20sm_zpsnji6asy7.jpg

Yep. The Nikon f/2 DC lenses are sweet.
Lots of pro portrait photographers use both the 105 mm f/2 DC and the 135 mm f/2 DC.

Yeah, pretty cool optic!!! I sent the OP, JTP, a private message about a 135 defocus that I have for sale.

One of Nikon's best lenses. If they updated it to keep the DC function and incorporated VR.... now that would be really something!

IMO, VR is highly overrated, and most photographers think VR should be turned on all the time.

Nikon VR explained
The first and most important rule of VR is this: never turn VR on unless it's actually needed.
Rule #2:
VR should normally be off if your shutter speed is over 1/500. (see rule #4)
Rule #3: If something is moving you, use Active. If it's just you moving the camera, use Normal.
Rule #4: If your subject is moving, you still need a shutter speed that will stop that movement.
Rule #5: VR doesn't remove all motion, it only removes camera motion.
Rule #6:
If you're panning correctly, VR should probably be On.
Rule #7: If you rely upon VR and use flash, use an external flash instead of the internal one if you can.
Rule #8: You MUST read your lens manual and see what it says about use on tripods.

Odd thing is I just bought an old 135 f2 ai, after playing with the DC lens I am so impressed I think I will sell the old one and go for the DC, used copy of course, I don't want to play full price. I have used the DC function but the effect is subtle. The bokeh is stellar without it. Both of the shots below were in DC mode.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t134/pugnacious33/_DSC1640 sm_zpscq1ronto.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t134/pugnacious33/_DSC1644%20sm_zpsnji6asy7.jpg

So in your opinion the DC is worth the xtra $$$ over the f2 in general or just specific situations? Honest question not stirring the pot.

For me the VR is a really important factor, especially with telephoto length lenses and beyond. I suffer with a benign essential tremor in my hands and arms, meaning I have to shoot at least 3-4 stops faster than one normally would. It's a huge PITA for me, but something I just have to try and work around for the most part.

Lowlight hand held shots were not something I would even contemplate before. Since I got the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC, I actually can get down to about 1/30th second, which is impossible for me otherwise. Even on a monopod or tripod, the tremors get transmitted to the camera if I'm touching it. My 300mm f/4 I have to shoot at 1/2500 sec. It doesn't help that my travel tripod is carbon fibre, as that does nothing to quell the vibrations. In studio, it doesn't matter so much, as the t=0.1 time of the PCB Einstein is generally enough for me to get razor sharp shots hand held. Wherever possible, I tripod mount and use a shutter release cable or timer, but for everything else the VR is an absolute godsend to me!

I've always wanted that lens! Stunning results, I've seen.
I have a 150 2.8 macro that will tie me over though.

Interesting note, you may have already filed: Petzvals pending 58mm is supposed to have a DC element to it! I'm intrigued for sure!

Good question. I don't think the DC is what makes it better, it is the AF. Even though it is slow it really helps, especially when shooting at f2. The DOF is a sliver and you miss a lot of shots, especially in portraits when you have tonsil the eye. I also think the lens is sharper and just produces a better image, though not by much. I also agree that VR would be nice.

So in your opinion the DC is worth the xtra $$$ over the f2 in general or just specific situations? Honest question not stirring the pot.

Considering nikon doesn't make a non-DC version with AF you don't have much of a choice!

I use the old manual focus ais version and like it though.

Yeah, pretty cool optic!!! I sent the OP, JTP, a private message about a 135 defocus that I have for sale.

HMM . Let me know the outcome of this Derrel , I may be interested .

I love VR as much as the next guy, and I have no budget for the DC lenses, but I would state the original versions are perfect as they are.

If somebody suffers from extreme handshake - naturally thats very special circumstances.

When I decided to get the 135 F/2DC, I searched for almost 10 months before a new one became available. I could never find a used one, they always sold before I got there. It's one of my go-to lenses for my E-Sessions, where I can play with the background blur and even at F/2 that lens is sharper than most of my other pro glass is at F/4!

At F/2, focus point was the stem of the apple:
4934551815_5efa4a1cc4.jpg

Even sharp at 300% magnification!
4935146512_3d76af6be2.jpg

The Defocus Control... used minimally, it really can control whether you want smooth background or smooth foreground bokeh, but I prefer it turned off, but when used a bit more to the "extreme", it can add an overly soft focus look to the photo. Used as it was meant to, this is one killer lens. Every time I use it, it redefines what the word "sharp" means to me.

15262348465_9a6e4bf4c3.jpg

At one point, they stopped making it, but demand prompted them to bring it back... if you find one in good condition, snap it up.

This lens and VR... definitely NOT needed. Practice your technique you lazy buggers! :D :D Hand held shots using this lens are stunning. I've consistently gone down to 1/15th and had perfect results.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back