Gracie

amateuringeorgia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This photo was taken in Bonaventure cemetary which is one of my favorite cemetaries to shoot. This is of Gracie a 6 year old girl who died of pneumonia, the statue was done by a local artist using a photo the family had of Gracie.
PDRM0043.jpg
[/img][/code]

Interesting marker, that's for sure. As far as the photograph goes, it's very well exposed and the focus is spot-on. Your horizon is tilted though (look at the fence in the back and the slight rightward lean of the statue), and the statue dominates the center of the frame (not using rule of thirds), and yet the bottom part of the marker (and the wreath) is cut off. Put this statue down toward the corner, and show more of the background cemetary to give the marker a sense of place and story, and you've got a fantastic shot.

It does look like the angle of the shot is slightly off, but that cemetary is filled with slight rises so it is possibe the fence is sitting on one of them or I was standing on one will have to check that and see. It is possibly me though trying to get the angle on a vertical shot is tricky sometimes.. The wreath is a problem area since it actually is more like a spray that extends up to the base of the statue back to the near camera position in the shot.

The major problem with this shot is that you are having to shoot it through a iron gate, whic could also make the angle hard to get right.

Interesting photo. I do agree about the rule of thirds, I think it would be more powerful if moved to one side of the frame. Might be interesting to try it in black and white, too.

Most reactions

Back