Grad ND and Solid ND filters

dearlybeloved

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As i dont have the ability to check out filters and try before i buy, i was wondering what are some of the best grad nd filters and solid nd filters. I love to shoot landscapes and would like to pick up both to add to my small collection. I was looking for this one but cant find it in stock. Tiffen 77mm HT Color Graduated ND .6 (4x) Filter 77HTCGND6

thanks in advance.

Also, not looking to spend more than $150 per filter and would be interested in square filters, but i dont know much about them.

Using a screw-on grad forces you to ALWAYS put the tradition right across the center of the image.... regardless of whether you want it there or not.

Go with square/rectangle filters instead.

Using a screw-on grad forces you to ALWAYS put the tradition right across the center of the image.... regardless of whether you want it there or not.

Go with square/rectangle filters instead.

what are some quality square filters? i seriously dont know much about them or which ones are going to be quality. any informative link you could share with me?

what are some quality square filters? i seriously dont know much about them or which ones are going to be quality. any informative link you could share with me?

Lee. B+W. Singh-Ray. Tiffen. Hoya.

Stay away from the super-cheap ones listed 1000x on ebay.

Last edited:
what would be a good size to look for? I've got 77mm lenses on my 3 most used lenses so Im wondering which dimensions are best for those lenses or what the pros and cons are. Thanks for the info.:)

EDIT: http://www.cokin-filters.com/creative-system/z-pro-series/ I was reading through this and figured this to be a good place to start. I'm using a full frame camera with wide angle lenses, so the z-pro series might work best. do you have any experience or knowledge about the z pro series?

I have been looking for a good Graduated ND filter as well and I am totally clueless. I shoot with a Nikon D5100 with 52 mm lenses what is a good type? I have noticed they come in different flavors some darker than others should I get a few different ones for various lighting situations? Thanks!

I would get a set of ND filters and an ND grad to go along with it.

The Cokin P series ones are okay, but you do get a purple colour cast on some shots.

This can be corrected in post if you know what you're doing.

This can be corrected in post if you know what you're doing.

It can also be corrected in-camera if your camera allows it.

I have been looking for a good Graduated ND filter as well and I am totally clueless. I shoot with a Nikon D5100 with 52 mm lenses what is a good type? I have noticed they come in different flavors some darker than others should I get a few different ones for various lighting situations? Thanks!

In addition to the various strengths of the ND, there's also a variety of 'edges'. Then you can throw in colors into the mix.......... Confusing indeed. I'd say start out with a 3-stop soft edge.

i was looking at filter holders and im curious to which one is going to be the best quality. I checked out the lee filter holder but i read that they easily scratch the edges of the filters and have a little trouble staying on securely. I also checked out the cokin filter holder and it seems to be a little more reliable and sturdy. Does anyone have experience with either of those? just want to make sure im going to get something that ill be happy with and since i cant check it out before i buy, im worried on what i should be getting. thanks for the input.

A lot of people just use the thumb and index finger.

what would be a good size to look for? I've got 77mm lenses on my 3 most used lenses so Im wondering which dimensions are best for those lenses or what the pros and cons are. Thanks for the info.:)

EDIT: Cokin - Z-Pro Series - The most advanced filter system. I was reading through this and figured this to be a good place to start. I'm using a full frame camera with wide angle lenses, so the z-pro series might work best. do you have any experience or knowledge about the z pro series?

The Z series is best if you are going to be using the filters in UWA lenses, but the filters certainly are not cheap, unless you purchase the chea / junk ones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back