graduate photography

fstop23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stefaniecannonphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to apply to a bunch of grad schools, some i've visited, but i probably won't see them all by the time i apply. Here's a list of some I'm interested in:

University of PA
University of Washington
Maryland Institute College of the Arts
Rhode Island School of Design
School of Visual Arts (NYC)
Savannah College of Art and Design

Any pros/cons to any of those listed? Any that I should look at that I don't have listed? Thanks!

SVA!!!!! I have a biased opinion since it is my Alma Matter. The professors are working professionals and of course NYC is very progressive let alone an exciting city. RISD turned me down, but I consider that school (arguably) top notch.

Not sure on grad programs(MFA). As an undergrad (BFA) I got the feeling that SVA will accept anyone who can pay. RISD is tech so you will have to jump thru some hoops as far as grades and experience goes. Check out Parsons in Brooklyn and NYU. Keep in mind that I have not been a student since the 90's. Things may have changed.

A question to consider is where do you want to work? Having a support group with you will do wonders for starting any career. This is doubly true for any of the arts disciplines.

Which discipline do you want to pursue? Journalism? that would be closest to DC. Fine Art? That would be NYC although there is I'm told a lot of disposable income around the Seattle area.

Just a thought but looking at this as the beginnings of your nest instead of the one you are leaving will tend to clarify things.

Best of luck

mike

thanks a lot, guys. I'm mainly looking to stay in fine art...I'll have to check out parsons and nyu. I went to Seattle and visited univ of washington... awesome campus, but they only have 6 grad students total. I really liked univ of pa. it's my top choice so far.

The only thing about rochester is that it's too close. i've been advised that i should go to a grad school that not near my undergrad...to avoid "inbred" teachings. get more perspectives. and i've also hear that RIT is heavy into commercial photo and not so much into conceptual. and i can't stand snow anymore. and rochester gets a ton of it. :)

Most reactions

Back