Graduated ND filters

Lol999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.17minutes.co.uk
Help an old boy out here:blushing: From my recent series I noticed a need for a graduated ND filter to hold back the sky and retain cloud detail. In my favourite retailer, E-Bay, I see grad grey filters advertised in the Neutral Density section with their rating i.e. ND2. Now, is there a difference between these and the rarely listed graduated neutral density filters? In the picture for a grad grey nd, a Cokin one, the demonstrated effect shows no grey tinge added, just better cloud detail. Is there a difference?

Cheers, Lol

Grey is neutral density...if I'm not mistaken.

It just darkens part of the images and does not add a "tinge" of grey. Although that may be one and the same.

'Grey' filters produce the same effect as Neutral-density, but under certain conditions they can introduce a slight colour-cast. For most photography this won't be a problem, however - I've been using Grey grads for a while now, and have never noticed any cast.

Filters decribed as neutral-density are just that - neutral. They shouldn't introduce any colour cast, under any situation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back