Graduation tonight. 85-1.8. Or 70-300 vr2 please advise

oldhippy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can I get good results with the 85 mm 1.8 on D600 Lens rated 40
or do I need to switch lens during the ceremony to the 70-300 vr 2
Daughter getting Masters, want my best shots. Leaving in 2 hours.
Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Ed

It's hard to say; I've seen some ceremonys where the lighting was fine, but many more where it was utter crap. My inclanation would be to start with the 85, getting as close as I can (but not so close that you're shooting up their noses), and if the light does allow, then you can switch to the zoom for more variety.

Thanks you Tirediron , pretty much what I thought. Just want to give it my best shot. Later Ed

Best indoor, low-light lens? 85mm f/1.8. Long enough for a medium tele shot. SHARP as a TACK, so cropping in is possible. Fast lens speed at f/2 or f/2.2 and that lens is very good even in the corners, and allows plenty of shutter speed. At "auditorium distances" it allows you plenty of depth of field even fairly wide-open. The zoom by contrast is f/4.5 then f/5.6 across the entire range, necessitating a lot of ISO boosting in substandard light, and also that slowish aperture on the zoom always forces you to shoot at slower speeds, which can lead to subject blurring if subjects are moving.

Thanks Derrel went with the 85mm. Seemed real good. Computer time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back