Grain Elevator (C&C please)

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Caught this driving around in rural Texas. C&C Please :)

Used the new D810, 85mm 1.8, 1/1250, f/8 at ISO 100. PP used lightroom to add selenium toning, pulled back the blue channel to darken the sky, and shopped out a weird bright spot on one of the buildings.

GrainElevator.jpg

Funny story ... Here in Texas everyone is carrying an RPG or some sh*t, so I never hop fences EVER w/out permission. As I was admiring this thing, I decided to flag down a big 1-ton doolie Ford pickup that was heading down the road. They stopped, and I asked the driver:
  • "Hey, there ... do you know who owns that building?" Never say "howdy". Ever. Nobody says howdy. Even I know that.
  • "You mean the elevator?" Doh! I'm outed as a city boy
  • "Yessir" This is one word in TX
  • "I do"
  • "Oh." Well just make your damn case. "So, do you mind if I hop the fence and take pictures of it?"
  • "Help y'self"
  • "Much obliged" This is considered very polite and respectful to rural folks in TX. "Thank you" is fine of course, but everyone says that ... this shows you have manners.

What were the odds that the OWNER of the thing would be driving by, in the middle of the middle of nowhere???

good luck, and it looks like it came out pretty well too.
photography does have its adventurous and kind of weird moments doesn't it?

Funny story and I love the sky in this.

Pure Ansel Adams. Although digital...
It doesn't look too much like selenium toning, looks much too warm.

I'm getting Moire on the larger silo, this is likely an artifact of the small size you uploaded. Depending on the desired final format, you may (or may not) want to do something about it.

I like this! I think the post processing really fits the image. I suppose I will have to look it up I suppose, as I have never heard of selenium toning.

The toning looks a little heavy on my monitor but it doesn't bother me too much.

I like the shot. I've passed by some abandoned silos a few times but I've never had the camera with me. Nice job!

Thanks everyone! Here's a pure mono silver FWIW ...

GrainElevatorSilverMed.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back