Grain

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
What are all of the factors that affect the grain of a negative?

Last Friday I shot a 10 shot roll (my first bulk loaded roll!) of HP5+ 400 iso. Shot outdoors in early evening, sunny day, still loads of light. I used all auto exposure, due to shooting my nephew (2 year old on the go, needed to be quick!) Developed in Rodinal for 6 minutes. Might have been a little over zealous on the agitation.

The skin tones are all much grainier than I think I have ever noticed my HP5 to be. Clearly noticeable even just looking at the negs in the loupe. The dark tones look fine.

I am just wondering if something I did may have caused it (such as the agitation, or using Rodinal with HP5 (which I don't think I've done before)), or if it's the product of all the factors combined, or maybe the roll of film I got is just grainy, or what...

Time and dillution affect the size of the grain.
If you overdevelop a neg you'll get bigger grain.
That could happen with a higher temp too.
More dilluted solutions and more time give you a finer grain.

Since you bulk loaded ( congrats!) did you set the iso manually?

Mmmm, just read you can see the grain in the neg...
Thats quite a big grain :shock: :lol: .Must be something else...
If you agitate too much you can cause uneven development, or somehow getting the chemicals between the layers of the film.

And thats all I know ( if I got i right :wink: )

Thanks for your thoughts! :) I used the Rodinal at 1+25. Maybe next time I will try the 1+50 times and see how that looks.

I bought dx-coded canisters, so the cam should have set it to 400 automatically.

Rodinal tends to produce grainier results than say D76 or ID11.

All of the following tend to increase grain size:
More concentrated developer
Higher dev temp
Greater agitation
Increased development times
Overexposure

Most reactions

Back