grainy digital photos...why?

dreadpyrat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a beginner so please bear with me. :)

I have a Sony DSC_P7 digital camera and I'm trying to just get some clear shots so I can edit them in Photoshop.

I've turned off Red Eye Redcution and Flash and I'm using a tripod to stablize the image but my photos are so grainy! And flesh tones are always tinged with green.

Does anyone know if there are some general rules of thumb for setting up a digital camera? I'm shooting at high-res, 1600x1200.

What can I do to get clear shots? Any advice is appreicated. :)

Blame it on the itsy bitsy sensor. You can try setting it to the lowest ISO setting available. Depending on the light situation it might be defaulting to a high ISO sensativity.

Otherwise, you can run it through a program like Neat Image
http://www.neatimage.com

Just to be persnickity, that's noise, not grain. It looks very similar, but noise is what you get from digital cameras and grain is what film is made of. They both become more pronounced the faster the higher the ISO you use, so they show up under similar conditions, also.

Excellent, thanks to both of ya for explaining this to me. I'll turn down the ISO to reduce noise, and if that doenst help, I'll give Neat Image a whirl. Thanks again!!

Most reactions

Back