Grainy shots on snow?

et5057

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
So Ive been shooting with an old Pentax K1000 and most often Ilford HP-5 film. I shoot pictures of skiers mostly in the air, above the horizon line, against the blue sky with the white of the snow beneath them. When I print, the pictures, although properly focused, come out reaaaally grainy. They look as if they hadn't been focused, but I am POSITIVE that they are focused correctly.
My light meter reads true, right in the middle, when I am taking the shot, and I, for the most part, shoot with a shutter speed of 1000 and an aperture setting on the low end. What could it be?
thanks

it is not uncommon for middle values in a black and white image to accent the grain pattern.
that an a lack of detail will always show more grain than images that have serious amount of detail.

As far as you light meter knows, the blue sky and white snow are middle values.

Your shots are most likely underexposed, which will, when corrected at the lab, will cause grain.

Your camera's meter always assumes that the scene is mid toned...18% grey. So when it's not (a lot of white snow)...accurate exposure isn't right in the middle.

When your scene is brighter than 18% grey, you will probably need to add exposure from the meter reading. When it's darker than 18% grey, you will probably need to subtract exposure from the meter reading.

brother sky itz

ah yes thank you. It makes sense-the light meter is trying to balance between the darkness of the blue and the trees etc. and the white so then it is underexposed and when I corrected them in the dark room they became grainy. or something like that.. thanks guys

Most reactions

Back