grammar pet peeve

I think the recent argument reinforces my previous argument that language is like art. Language is art. It's theoretical. Skier's posts really lead me to believe this is true.

Let's treat language like western music. In the baroque period, Johann Sebastian Bach composed music and the most learned musicians agreed that it sounded good. Does this make it right? No, only the standard. Then there's the classical era. For the most part, what Bach said went. And, the most learned musicians, who could have composed textbook baroque music, made some changes. And, everyone accepted the music theory.

The harsh truth is that you don't get away with being lazy about innovation. One cannot be ignorant in a subject and do it well, master it, and much less innovate it. First, understanding, then mastery, then innovation. Ignorance praises ignorance. A learned mind scoffs at the poster who lauds their photos as creative because they are ignorant of photography.

What Heck says is true, though. We shouldn't judge. We can honor people and withhold honoring people. I speak French terribly and should therefore not be honored as being bilingual. Pgriz is a polyglot and I honor that.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back