grammar pet peeve

My pet peeve are people like you... If you get what we are talking about, and it isn't formal, who gives a ****.

Edit: English is my first language, and I don't give a hoot if I mess up, this is the internetz :)

I don't really care about formal on the net, or the fact that you ended a question with a period instead of a question mark, or the fact that you just used the verb "to be" in plural form for the singular noun "pet peeve." That's easy to do. I sometimes don't catch it.

The switching of "then" and "than" is, as I perceive it, a new issue. It's bazaar because it's not that hard a concept. And, seemingly educated people do it! I see many comments that are grammatically flawless, or pretty close, until they get to those words. It's crazy.

The problem is that people don't just use improper grammar on the "internetz." They carry it into their papers and resumes. But, at least it makes my resume stand out. And, it makes it difficult for an English professor to put a "C" on my essays and papers when they're surrounded by poorly written ones.

badgrammar2.jpg

Here you go NCAFLeo

Last edited:
My pet peeve are people like you... If you get what we are talking about, and it isn't formal, who gives a ****.

Edit: English is my first language, and I don't give a hoot if I mess up, this is the internetz :)

I don't really care about formal on the net, or the fact that you ended a question with a period instead of a question mark, or the fact that you just used the verb "to be" in plural form for the singular noun "pet peeve." That's easy to do. I sometimes don't catch it.

The switching of "then" and "than" is, as I perceive it, a new issue. It's bazaar because it's not that hard a concept. And, seemingly educated people do it! I see many comments that are grammatically flawless, or pretty close, until they get to those words. It's crazy.

The problem is that people don't just use improper grammar on the "internetz." They carry it into their papers and resumes. But, at least it makes my resume stand out. And, it makes it difficult for an English professor to put a "C" on my essays and papers when they're surrounded by poorly written ones.

badgrammar2.jpg

Here you go NCAFLeo
Why are you bringing this junk about resumes and essays, onto the internetz forum with no resumes or essays? Btw, i ended in a period because it wasn't really a question -.-

Its not really a new issue either, i have seen it for years! I personally don't care, why do you?

is this a attempt to make sure we due gooder grammar. Than this is a waist of time and space.

Their, there and they're

To, too and two

I agree.... all of the above are misused here quite a bit.

As for spoken language, adding "at" in regards to one's location can drive me crazy.

"Where are you at?"
"I went to the place she was at."

Aughhhh!!!!!

-Pete

I'm glad that I'm not the only one bothered by this.

is this a attempt to make sure we due gooder grammar. Than this is a waist of time and space.

...probably a lesson your English teacher learned early on. BURN!

As a non-native speaker of the English language I seem to be a lot more alert to all the little "flaws" the native speakers consistently bring into their typed English ("on the internetz, so why bother"?) than the native speakers themselves are. I notice all that robintussin, rainking and Christie Photo are pointing out, and I care. More so even, when my daughter comes reading forum texts with me and stumbles across those errors and mistakes and them mistakes them for "the real thing", as it is native speakers who write like this. Then I have to be the intermediary between the faulty English of native speakers and the still shaky English of a high school learner of English as a foreign language! For in most cases it is NOT the English of members who had to acquire the language as their second or third language that gives reason to stop and think twice, it's the English of the native speakers. And that SHOULD be something to think about, whether this is "just the internetz" or not.

If you live in a country that speaks a language other than your native language, it's your responsibility to learn that language...

Well... common. That's an entirely different concern. I have patience for someone learning the language.

It's those who are products of our schools that amaze me.

-Pete

Totally agree with this!

Personally, I know people make mistakes. I make grammar mistakes when typing sometimes, by accident. Usually it's mixing up words that sound the same, but it's not because I don't know the proper rules. I don't see a problem with an occasional mix-up.

However, when someone consistently has horrid grammar, I have a hard time reading that person's posts. Good communication skills are so much more important than people realize. As much as I hate to say it -- and I know I'm far from the only one who feels this way -- I have a much harder time taking seriously a person with posts with tons of grammar mistakes.

That said, I'm writing this five minutes after waking and I'm still wiping the sleep from my eyes. I hope I don't come back later and re-read this and want to slap myself! :p

Last edited:
Well-educated, professional clients tend to assess the credibility and business expertise of professional photographers on their attention to detail displayed in their written and oral communication and on their people skills. They then relate to them "on that level".

From a business point of view as a client, you are less inclined to take advantage of a photographer who seems in their communication to be sharp, literate, and professional, than you are with one who demonstrates a sloppy attitude to communicating accurately with customers. It is a simple matter of making an impression...orally and in writting....OR NOT.

Sure this is the Internet, but I sincerely doubt that anyone using poor spelling and grammar here, demonstrates excellent literacy skills when dealing with their clients. And to those that are not pro photographers, excellent spelling and grammar skills certainly do NOT hinder one's progress in any business or profession.

skieur

Last edited:

badgrammar2.jpg

Here you go NCAFLeo

Quote: "It's bazaar because it's not that hard a concept. And seemingly educated people do it!"

No,no,no,no! A bazaar is a marketplace, a street market, usually in the Middle East.

The word you should have used is "bizarre"...meaning strangely unconventional, weird, or odd.

Hey, I have an idea for a new post: "I HATE it when people accidentally or stupidly use the word bazaar when they really ought to use the word bizarre! C'mon people, it's simple, and obvious! Bazaar and bizarre mean two wildly different things!! ACK!"

Glass houses, and all, dontcha' know?????

I'll play:
"grammer"
"could care less" - when trying to say "couldn't care less", completely ignoring the purpose of the phrase
"same difference"
Many, many more.

I'm a bit relieved to see people care about the English language. And, I especially like LaFoto's point. And, it's not just non-native U.S. citizens that are learning incorrect English or that correct English isn't important, it's also the young impressionable ones: grade schoolers.

I was thinking about how I said I don't care about grammar on forums. But, I do kind of. There's a difference between convenience, typos and bad grammar. For instance, it doesn't take any less time to type "then" than it does to to type "than." That's obviously ignorance. But, if you don't capitalize "I," that's convenience or a typo. (although it defeats the purpose of it being the only pronoun we capitalize all the time...) And, I don't mind dialects when they're obviously purposeful. "Git 'er dun," "kinda..."

I think it's true, though, that you need to prove that you know something thoroughly before breaking the rules. It's that way with photography. If you want to be taken seriously, know how to make technically good photos and then break rules. And in music-- Claude Debussy could compose formal Romantic music using tertian harmony and stressing root movements of 5th and 4ths. But, he broke rules and ushered in Impressionism.

Quote: "It's bazaar because it's not that hard a concept. And seemingly educated people do it!"

No,no,no,no! A bazaar is a marketplace, a street market, usually in the Middle East.

The word you should have used is "bizarre"...meaning strangely unconventional, weird, or odd.

Thank you, Derrel. That was not just a misspelling; that was obvious ignorance and I will not make it again! :D And, you are certainly free to make that post if you so desire. In fact, it would be hypocritical of me not to encourage you to do so.

And, rocdoc, I'll add "a whole nother." It's like waylaying the "nother" part of "another" and sticking "whole" there.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back